spark plug in oil pan drain instead of bolt

Well if he had to use an easy out then obviously he twisted the metal part of the spark right in two. When that happens I can believe the ceramic pieces might fall into the engine. But if the OP were to just break off the external ceramic part then the rest of the ceramic aint going nowhere. And he won't need an easy out to remove it either.

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

jim

That has happened to anyone who has every pulled a wrench against a spark plug, but it normally only cracks the external porcelain, not the feedthrough.

I had, on one occasion, a plug fail with the internal porcelain falling into the cylinder and the plug electrodes being bent into contact with each other. Never understood it. The car was not in any stress, it just happened.

Reply to
HLS

You are talking to an offroader here, I 'know' how hard those rocks that get tossed by the tires when driving on gravel roads, hit things. That twangggg noise by the ear is real unnerving as a rock takes a chunk out of a roll bar or punches through my 'glass fender top, even though the fender is rubber under coated.

I learned way back to keep my elbow 'inside' the window opening also....

And ceramic shatters....

Anyhow, I am sure the OP has it figured that some of us think it is a no no to use a spark plug for a drain plug.

Reply to
Mike Romain

So your point is what? Doesn't sound like any of that would gain you any particularly useful knowledge regarding how difficult it is to break the ceramic part of a spark plug that is surrounded by metal.

The part of the ceramic encased in steel doesn't shatter easily. If you were to crawl under the OP's car with a hammer and small chisel you would find that it is easier to punch a hole in the oil pan than shatter the ceramic inside the plug.

-jim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

jim

I hope he hasn't connected it to anything! :-D

Reply to
Andy

LOL! Ya right, tell that to all the folks that have snapped them off with spark plug wrenches! Man you are too much.

So the long and the short of it is 'You' would do this repair and think it was safe right?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

When I was a kid, I laid an old spark plug on the front porch and I shot at that spark plug with my Daisy BB Gun.I broke the ceramic on that old spark plug with a BB. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Anyone who has done that knows that makes the spark plug useless but doesn't cause a leak.

I'm beginning to doubt you have ever even seen a sparkpug. The part that extends from the metal casing is easy to break. Break off all your spark plugs in your engine and you won't create a compression leak because the part encased in metal will still be intact.

I said what I said. You claimed rocks or something would break the porcelain and create a leak. I said you obviously never attempted breaking the part of the ceramic inside a spark plug to intentionally break the seal.

-jim

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

jim

What would look cool is a spark plug mounted in the middle of the hood with a wire leading to and through the grill. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin