spark plug socket wrench won't hold plug enough to remove

It keeps falling out. I don't have a long enough needle nose pliers to
get it out is there another handy household contraption I can use to
get deep in the hole to grab the plug and remove it or do I need to
hit the hardware store?
Reply to
Joe
Buy yourself a spark plug wrench with a magnetic insert. Bite the bullet, for a couple of bucks. Wrenches without any inserts are a PITA, and those with foam rubber inserts are but little better.
Dont go to a gunfight with a pocketknife.
Reply to
<HLS
In a pinch, sticky tape can solve a wide range of problems. Just wad up a bit and shove it in your socket. It'll pull the spark plug right out. Use it to tape screws to the screwdriver, too, for fitting into tight spots.
Not a permanent substitute for a quality tool, of course, but this trick can often save a trip to the store.
Reply to
Ninja
All the 'spark plug sockets' I have have a rubber insert for grabbing onto the plug and removing or installing it.
Might I suggest a real spark plug socket, rather than a socket 'that fits'.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Reply to
Mike Romain
Buy yourself a plug socket that has a rubber insert to hold the end of the plug. These are made specifically as "spark plug" sockets. Not just any deep socket of the right size is a spark plug socket.
Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
It might also help if the OP posted the make/model/engine involved. Many newer cars have the spark plugs below a long shaft, and most sparkplug sockets are too thick. I found that twisting the socket extension a little to the side is enough to keep the plug grabbed for the long trip out of the well.
Reply to
AZ Nomad
I have had several with rubber inserts over the years, and they are an improvement over a "socket that fits". With time, the inserts have degraded on some of mine, or have hardened, or loosened and fallen out.
The best I ever had was a magnetic one, but I dont know where you have to go to buy one now.
Reply to
<HLS
The gift that keeps on giving. Thank you Kevin Bottorff for the 2007 post to use a fuel line to snag spark plugs. That paid off in 2019 for me. I got started without a spark plug socket to pull the spark plug out of the deep hole. I was looking at the spark plug lying loose in the hole. The fuel line snagged it easy...and the next three.
Okay that was the three 'easy' forward facing plugs in the Acura where I could easily see the plug in the hole. Then a run to autoparts store for a magnetic socket for the rear facing plugs. But I couldn't have run to the store without getting the first spark pulled and replaced, but it worked so well I did the other two front-facing plugs.
Reply to
mcnallyjh3
> <a> wrote in news:4672ed22$0$5377$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com: > > > get it out with a magnet > >
> >> It keeps falling out. I don't have a long enough needle nose pliers to > >> get it out is there another handy household contraption I can use to > >> get deep in the hole to grab the plug and remove it or do I need to > >> hit the hardware store? > >> > > > > > > > > or a piece of rubber fuel line. KB > > -- > Thunder Snake #9 > "Protect" your rights or "lose" them.
Reply to
mcnallyjh3
in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:
always glad to help when I can, glad you had good results. KB
Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Site Timeline Threads