Srevice manual: Helm vs Alldata vs ...?

I'm looking for a service manual for our '04 Cavalier. I do all my own work, and I've always bought Helm before. Aside from the cost, I wasn't that happy with the Helm books for our '99 Cavalier: in places, I wondered whether the writer was just faking it. (Other parts were fine.)

I'd be interested in any experiences using Helm vs an online source like Alldata. One argument for a paper book is that I can have it right out at the car, make notes in it, etc.

Thanks, G

Reply to
George

George wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Actually, probably the best source these days is the automaker's own online Tech Info site. For GM:

One major advantage of the OEM sites is that mistakes are corrected regularly.

Reply to
Tegger

The CD versions are superior. You can search and cross reference them to find the sections you need, and then print the relevant pages to use out in the shop and not worry about getting them dirty.

Online versions are crap, since when your subscription expires you have nothing vs. the CD which lasts essentially forever (work from a backup copy or copy to HD).

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news:4ca2007d$0$9845$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

You can save all the pages you end up with online, as well as print them out.

Reply to
Tegger

Or you can buy the official factory manual CD and have *all* of it saved permanently, and for a comparable cost to the expiring subscriptions.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news:4ca240b1$0$9838 $ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

How much is a legal official factory CD?

Reply to
Tegger

The 2009 Ford F250-550 CD manual (from HELM) was $170 I believe.

Reply to
Pete C.