starnge(transmission?) problem

I've got a bit of a problem with an automatic 1990 protege,hope someone has an idea what's wrong with it.

Let me list the symptoms ,because there are quite a few:

Strange ,groaning modulating noise coming it seems like from front passanger side close to the windsheald ( almost like it's inside the cabin). It comes on at acceleration mostly(sometimes not) during low speeds(idling to about 25 )stays on chainging in pitch for 3 to 15 seconds and then goes away by itself . Doesn't seem like it's coming from underneath(transmission). It also dissapears when you press on the brake or accelerate over 30 .It seems to show up more often when the car is not warmed yet, as well as,when turning.When I switched from drive into neutral noise went away . I found transmition fluid low a few days ago(there was a small leak which I am yet to find) and filled it -probably a touch too much .Now there are a few air bubbles on the dipstic (I figure from overfilling) .The fluid is also darker than it should be. Hold sign blinks off and on every 30 or so seconds but it was that way since my sister bought the thing.

With all these problems you would expect there to be some sort of problems driving yet there are none to be seen.

I figure it's transmission acting up - question is what can I do (besides putting a new transmition in) and how long have I got untill it goes out.

Thanks ,Bess.

Reply to
bess

It's rather hard to tell from you description. However, the location seems to indicated that you MAY have a cooling system issue. Could it be that the noise is coolant? Check your coolant level, if you know how, see if you can let any air out of the cooling system (usually there is bleed valve). If you have air trapped in the system you may hear this from the heater core which is located close to where you are hearing this noise. Also check to see if there is coolant loss at the pump, most pumps have a weep hole that allow coolant to leak to indicate a bad seal. I can't be sure, but I'm not convinced this is transmission issue. If you want, you can have the transmission fluid changed at a service station usually around $40 to $70.

Reply to
Fred

Thanks ,Fred for answering .I hope you're right and it is the cooling system--how do I deal with the air trapped in the system by the way

--let it run with radiator cap open for a few minutes ? I'm gonna flush the transmition system ,change filter and add some anti-leak fluid after --hope that fixes it. Any other ideas are appreciated --hate to give up on this. Thanks,Bess.

Reply to
bess

Bess,

On most engines there is a small valve on top or near the thermostat housing that you can open and let the engine run. What happens is a few drops of coolant and all the trap air come out, then you close the valve. The position of the valve is such that it is high compare to the top of the radiator. In you car however, it may be just as easy to do exactly what you suggest and let the air out from the cap. Please make sure your engine starts from cold so the coolant isn't hot, inside the car your heater settings are all the way on hot with the fan on and that the car is not allowed to reach normal operating temp, since that would make the coolant way too hot and the conditions unsafe. Also use a towel to catch any spilled coolant since it is deadly to most animals.

Reply to
Fred