How to check for exhaust leak

I have a feeling there is an exhaust leak putting fumes inside the cabin of my '94 Chevy S10. It does seem to have a noticeable smell, although not like antifreeze.

Isn't there something I could pore into the engine while it is running which would produce smoke at any leak location, like the exhaust manifold gaskets.

regards Nadeem

Reply to
Nadeem

Many years ago I read about a ''trick''.I think it was in an old Popular Science article which dated back to the 1950's,Auto Kinks,Hints,or something like that.It pertained to drilling and threading a hole in the exhaust pipe near the exhaust manifold and installing an Alemite grease fitting.The gist of it was by using a grease gun and putting a dab of grease in the exhaust pipe/tail pipe,that was suppose to make the pipe and muffler last much longer.It probally made the tail pipe and muffler kind of smokey for a while too. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Any oil. Dump in carb. Partially plug the tailpipe for best results.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Get some GM top cleaner and you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Will GM top cleaner work ok for my 1978 Dodge van,318 cubic inch engine? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin