Starting an abandoned car?

We have an abandoned car in our driveway. It actually belongs to our son, who had a minor wreck several years ago, and didn't drive it much after that. It probably hasn't been started in a year. The last time I tried, it would crank (with jumper cables) but would not fire.

It is a 95 Infiniti J30, V6, fuel-injection. It has about 2 gal of gas in the tank.

Could the gas be bad? Should I just add fresh gas, or is there an additive I should put in? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Craig

[the reply-to address is munged, but you can figure it out if you want to reply off-list]
Reply to
Williams

Gas is good for about 6 months.

What I'd do is disconnect the fuel rail supply line and have it drain into a tank. By cycling the ignition switch on/off, the (in-tank) pump will run the tank dry enough to get most of the bad gas out. Reconnect everything and put new gas in, then try it. It probably won't start on the first few trys, but after a few attempts it should start up.

There is of course, the possibility that the old gas has gummed up the fuel injectors, but that requires $ to fix, and may clear itself up if the engine starts & is run for a while.

Reply to
Bob M.

So much could be wrong with it. You dont know if the gas were clean when your son pulled it up there. If the tank were not totally sealed, you could accumulate some condensation water over a year. Your fuel filter, assuming it has one, could be plugged.

You might try cranking it over with a fresh battery or with jumper cables while a friend gives it a judicious pop of starter fluid. If it tries to start, then look deeper into the fuel system.

If this doesnt do anything, again use the friend and see if you have ignition voltage at the spark plugs.

If finances permit, a competent mechanic could be your best friend on a problem like this.

Reply to
<HLS

Thanks, but that raises another question. How do I use starter fluid with a fuel-injected car? I have done that with carburetors, but the only way I would know to get it to the fuel injectors would be via the gas tank.

Craig

Reply to
Williams

Thanks, Bob. I'll give it a try when the weather clears. I have a couple of co-workers who are good with cars, and I may have to enlist their aid, too.

Craig

Reply to
Williams

IT's the same, you spray it into the "air opening". Old cars had carburetors, new ones have throttle bodies. Both are where the air enters the engine.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Same way you would on a carb - spritz it into the air intake.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Most starter fluids I have seen say to spray it into the air intake with the air filter properly in place, never directly down the open throttle. It doesn't matter what fuel runs the engine for this.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N> Thanks, but that raises another question. How do I use starter fluid with a
Reply to
Mike Romain

Exactly...Just find out if it is a fuel delivery problem and, if so, work backward.

I ran a lawnmower on propane from a hand torch once, just to see if the carburetor was blocked. (It was, and the mower ran like a charm on the propane for the minute or two I needed it.)

Reply to
<HLS

You might want to wear a fire suit for when it backfires.

Reply to
Woody

If you using starting spray according to directions, you wont have to worry about it.

Reply to
<HLS

I appreciate all the tips! I'll pick up a can of starter fluid and see what happens, plus rid the car of the old gas. I will post back with the results -- may be a few days.

Craig

Reply to
Williams

I've run a lawnmower on WD40 sprayed from a can when trying to figure out what was wrong with it. When it stopped running when I stopped spraying that pretty much ment it was a fuel delivery problem ;)

Reply to
Brent P

propane for the

Ive done that too, Brent... I must have been out of WD40 the day I tried propane... Or maybe it was just curiosity;>)

Reply to
<HLS

The gas is bad and it has probably clogged everything else up too. You MIGHT be able to get away with filling the tank up, changing the filter, and maybe tossing in a bottle of injector cleaner. Don't be surprised if you have to pull the injectors out and clean them or if you have to drain the tank.

If it were mine, I'd drain those two gallons out of the tank since they are probably pure varnish now. It's possible filling the tank up will dilute the stuff enough to get away with, though.

What you really worry about is all the glop and varnish that has built up inside the fuel lines and injectors.

This is, of course, assuming there is nothing ELSE wrong with the vehicle. Oh yes, and I'd change the oil as soon as you get the thing running, too.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Yes. If the engine backfires, the air filter and flash suppression stuff will prevent you from getting a plume of flaming ether in your face.

Starting ether gives me the willies.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

A bunch of years ago I was at a used tire place getting a used tire installed on a wheel for a spare.The air pressure wouldn't set the bead on the tire.The guy who was doing the work,he sprayed some starting fluid inside of the tire and then he stood back and he threw a lit match at the tire.POW! That set the bead in an instant. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

It doesnt scare me particularly because I have never had any incidents with it. But anything of this nature deserves to be treated with due respect.

Reply to
<HLS

You don't need a carb either. Just leave the fuel line dangling over the intake, and when you crank it over, it'll pump fuel right into the intake and start right up. Had this happen when working on a demo derby car. Bonus points if you leave it in gear when cranking it over with no neutral safety switch.

Why yes, I am a redneck. :)

Reply to
ray

Foxworthy: "If you are mowing your grass, and find a car, you MIGHT be a redneck" ;>)

Reply to
<HLS