Intake Manifold/O2 Sensor

The dealership replaced my intake manifold. After I drove about 10 miles, the Check Engine light came on and the dealership says the O2 sensor has gone bad.

I drive a Mazdaspeed Protege (2.0L Turbo). It has 64,000 miles, but it seems suspicious like it's more than just a coincidence.

What are the chances that the dealership's work on the intake manifold caused or contributed to the problem with the sensor?

I appreciate any advice I can get.

-E

Reply to
elan01

wrote: (Mazda Protege 2.0 Turbo 64k)

The dealership replaced my intake manifold. After about 10 miles, the CEL light came on. The dealership says the O2 sensor has gone bad. It seems suspicious, like more than just a coincidence. What are the chances that the dealership caused or contributed to the problem with the sensor? ______________________________________________________

There's always a chance. I got an O2 sensor light about 10 miles after a dealership replaced the valve cover gaskets on my Olds V8. They said it couldn't be related. I installed a new sensor and it still didn't work. On close examination, I found that the dealership had installed the right side valve cover with the O2 sensor wire pinched between the cover and the head, shorting out the sensor.

Some things to check:

1.) O2 sensor failed due to age - not related to dealership. Have sensor checked or throw a new sensor at it. 2.) Dealer installed the manifold incorrectly causing a manifold leak. If you find a leak, have the dealer redo the work at no cost. 3.) Dealer disconnected/broke the O2 sensor wire during manifold work. Talk to dealer again. Ask them to look in engine compartment (at no cost) to see if they created a fault. 4.) Reset engine computer - maybe it was tuned to the old manifold.

That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

If you were losing coolant into the intake before, the glycol likely contaminated the sensor. If the PCM was in safe mode before, it went back into closed loop when the dealer reset the codes making it possible to find it's bad sensor. The sensor may also have become contaminated after the manifolds was replaced if a gasket or seal is now lettting coolant escape into the engine. If the gaskaets are no leaking, the sensor was likely bad before. It may also be a bad connection during reassembly of the engine. You need a good technician. It may just need connecting the harness. It usually takes a few miles in failed mode for the PCM to set a code.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut