Steering Wheel Extension

What are my options for adjusting my steering wheel reach?

I have a Subaru Forester which I modified the seat rails to be 1" higher and

3" farther back so I'd have more leg room, but now I can barely reach the steering wheel. Ideally I'd want about a 3" extension. Are there spacers that would be compatible with my steering wheel? Where does the spacer go (i.e. would it space the wheel away from my turn signal switches)? What about a custom steering column?

I also was thinking that a Subaru Outback steering column might be longer than the Forester's. Any chance I could just swap in one of those? And how would I find out the length before ordering one?

Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,

- mark

Reply to
Mark Vieselmeyer

I dont think a 3" spacer would be likely for your present setup.

You could go to a junkyard to see how other steering columns from similar vehicles measure out. This sounds like a PITA approach however.

I think my first stop would be to look for custom aftermarket steering wheels which might have a deeper dish or which might be configured so that they are easier to space.

Reply to
HLS

In fact, I found this link which might help you along your way

HLS

Paging.....

Mr. Goldberg.....

Mr. Rube Goldberg.....

Reply to
Bob Paulin

In rec.autos.tech HLS snipped-for-privacy@tellcon.net wrote: : In fact, I found this link which might help you along your way

:

Thanks for the link. I also did some browsing on the Grant site and it turns out they have steering wheels with up to 4" dish, so I can probably get what I need even without the spacers.

I noticed at your link the guy mentions that the signal switch can be a bit hard to reach, so I still need to figure out what to do about that, but if need be I can probably live with it. Maybe I could add some dummy levers with cables and pulleys connected to a fulcrum on the steering column (sorry, I just threw that in for the benefit of that other poster).

Thanks,

- mark

Reply to
Mark Vieselmeyer