Steering Wheel Turning Circle Not Perfect

Hello:

I own a new Honda Accord EX and noticed that when I turn the steering wheel all the way around (either direction) that the steering wheel doesn't turn in a perfect, tight circle. It appears that the "axis" where the steering wheel turns is not exactly centered so that the steering wheel appears slightly "wobbly" when it is spun completely around.

To explain again: Imagine a perfect circle rotating around the exact center. It would spin in a perfect circle. Then imagine you shift the axis of rotation slightly above or below the exact center of the circle and you can see that the circle will kind of "wobble" because it is not spinning around the circle's actual center.

Is this normal and expected in the Accord or other cars? Or is it the case that my steering wheel was not installed or built with enough precision and thus I should see about fixing it?

Thanks for any help and insight!

(Please reply to the newsgroup as I do not read the email from this account due to SPAM)

Reply to
polypheus

That is normal on lots of vehicles.

Mike

polypheus wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

This is the case on every passenger vehicle I can think of. Has been for decades. The wheel is offset-mounted to give you additional leg clearance during the most frequent condition, which is the steering wheel "up" (wheels straight ahead).

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I can't recall ever owning a vehicle (Honda or otherwise) that DIDN'T do this.

Reply to
Duran

More I read this NG the more I think you should have to pass a test to own a Honda...

Reply to
Jeff Tamblyn

snipped-for-privacy@mailandnews.com (polypheus) quoth thusly in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Anybody remember the orginal Austin Allegro "Quartic" steering wheel? Two points if you do...

What you've got is NORMAL. NO modern steering wheel is guaranteed to be perfectly circular, with all points of the periphery equidistant from a single axis.

Reply to
Tegger®

My dad had an '83ish Electra that was so bad in this regard on the other axis (front to back) that you had to anticipate it when you allowed the steering wheel to return after a turn, or it would slide right out of your hand. It had a good inch and a half of delta.

Reply to
Bo Williams

snipped-for-privacy@mailandnews.com (polypheus) decided to join the conversation on

20 Nov 2003 with message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I think this is normal.. My 96 Civic is like that.. My parents' 99 CR-V is like that.. I'm pretty sure 91 Civic is like that too.. it might be a little less off center though..

Reply to
Chris Garcia

My dad bought a Chevette (shudder!) years ago in which the plane of the steering wheel was not perpendicular to the column. Damn' car was so cramped that the column came into the passenger compartment at a weird angle. Try maneuvering in tight quarters with a wheel that's not only eccentric, but wobbles on the end of the shaft like the worst bent rim you've ever seen.

Reply to
the fly

But then you couldn't buy one.

Reply to
Gus

I think it would be great if everyone had to pass a more than basic automotive repair course to own a car/have a license. I'd make it cover basic engine operation, basic electrical, sensor failures and how they may effect the operation of the car, and how individual systems from cooling to suspension work. Overhauling components, emissions and the explanation of power flow in an automatic would probably not be covered! But make it so that people had a strong understanding of how the individual systems in a vehicle worked. It'd at the very least keep a lot of people who really shouldn't be driving off the road, and that wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion. And since most people are so dependent on their cars, I certainly am, the more consumers know -- the better.

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.

I own two.

Reply to
Jeff Tamblyn

I agree. I've heard so many wacky tales during my time working at a body shop...and seen so many poorly maintained cars that wound up in "accidents" it's no wonder people are regularly screwed by 1) insurance companies, 2) car dealers, 3) repair shops. If auto consumers were better educated in auto maintenance a lot of scumbags would have find a real job! At the very least-read and understand and follow the owner's manual.

Reply to
Jeff Tamblyn