Storing tires ?

Hello,

When one stores, e.g., summer driving tires, outdoors during the winter when we would change over, should the tires be stored flat and stacked, or indvidually vertically (like the normal driving orientation) ?

Why ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

On the rim, either way doesn't matter. Let 10/15 lbs out. Of the rim, either is OK, just don't "squash" them. They will deform a bit. Main thing is keep them out of direct sun light.

Reply to
thenitedude

"Robert11" wrote in news:gmakke$up6$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

Store laying flat, with cardboard on the bottom and between the tires. That's what I do.

Prevents flat spots, supposedly. But flat spots work their own way out after a couple of miles of driving. Flat spots were quite a problem in the bias-ply days.

OTOH, I see tire shops storing their new tires any old way they feel like, so it can't be that important.

I'd think keeping moisture away would be more important than storage orientation. Steel parts (the wheel) left long-undisturbed in the presence of moisture will rust like you wouldn't believe.

Reply to
Tegger