stretched timing belt?

A friend of mine has an Astra. It came up with error code P14 (exhaust cam
advanced). I replaced the camshaft control solenoid, and it was okay for
a short while.
But then started losing power, stalling and throwing more error codes.
So she took it to a dealer workshop. Their diagnosis was "stretched timing
belt". I haven't heard of this before. Usually just hear about them
snapping and wrecking the engine, or some teeth breaking off, and it
slipping out of phase.
I guess if the belt became longer, it would be benign at constant speed,
but then go out of phase when accelerating?
Reply to
pedro1492
wrote:
And when you did this, what did the timing look like with the light?
Nope, they can stretch too. But in this case, it might have slipped out of phase.
Maybe, but depending on the tensioner design it might also be more likely to skip. The timing light will tell you what is actually going on.
And don't forget to replace the tensioner, if it IS the belt. Which it likely is. --scott
Reply to
Scott Dorsey
I don't have a timing light, or a workshop manual telling me what the relationship between the shafts should be.
I spoke to the service manager and he told me that the belt had jumped a tooth, which is enough to make the engine ratshit.
Reply to
pedro1492
wrote:
Pick up a light! They are amazingly useful diagnostic tools, and people forget how useful they are. Every flea market has a bunch of them that they can't give away!
They do that, yeah. --scott
Reply to
Scott Dorsey
Hello, and some years back I owned a 1991 Chevy Lumina Z-34. It had both a timing belt and timing chain (but that's another story). At about 82,000 mi the engine up and quit. In my case some of the toothed projections on the belt had sheared off rather than the belt just breaking in two. Cost me about $800 (the belt was about $70) to have the belt replaced but the engine never quite ran the same and consumed more gas (I don't think the tech got the four (2 intake, 2 exhaust) overhead camshafts timed right). Otherwise I loved that car. Sincerely,
Reply to
J.B. Wood
WHile we are on the subject of belts, my '94 Saturn SL 2 got a replacement belt a year or two ago, and on start up I still get a lot of squeeling. Somebody mentioned "belt ease" to stop it. Is that a thing? Should I care?
Nils K. Hammer
Reply to
synthius2002
dsi1 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:
yea, timing belt has nothing to do with squealing. KB
Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Site Timeline Threads