1999 Concorde Timing Belt

The timing belt broke on my 1999 3.2L Concorde at about 80k miles.

I replaced the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner. Now it is running rough (like it is out of time) and I get the following codes: P0341 P1297 P1391 P1684.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Reply to
sdosborne

Find out what the codes mean?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

That is an interference engine (i.e., if pistons and valve train loose synchronization from the timing belt, the valves hit the pistons when the pistons are at TDC). You likely have some damaged valves.

That doesn't mean you also don't have it mis-timed. Need to look up the codes.

Bill Putney

Sam, you are going to have to clear the fault codes and see which ones come back. Since your belt broke when it was running some of those faults may have been set before the belt was installed. P1297 No change in Map. P1391 Int loss of cam or crank and I have no idea what the others are.They are not in the manual. Possibly your code reader given you false data

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

"P1684 is only a status which indicates that the PCM memory has been cleared within the last 50 ignition cycles and does not indicate a problem."

Bill Putney

P0341 seems to be indicative of an issue with the "range/performance of the camshaft position sensor"

Again, it is not obvious whether the code was set when the belt broke or whether it was set after.

As Bill pointed out this is an interference engine -- you may want to check compression on each cylinder to see whether it is similar.

I also remember that on this engine you have quite a range for the position of each of the cam pulleys -- the crankshaft has a precise position (arrows have to align), while the cams have to be "between the two dots". The FSM advises you to mark the exact position as to where the cams are at TDC (obviously this would not work in your case). I think there is a possiiblity that one or both of the cams might be off by one tooth -- that's the range I think.

You can probably run the engine without the crankshaft pulley and the accessory belts for a short while if you simply need to check wether the engine is OK.

You may consider a simple method of trial and error -- there are roughly two possible positions for each of the cams, thus you would need to try at most four permutations to eliminate the timing issue as a possibility.

Unfortunately, most likely the roughness is due to damaged valves/ pistons -- there was a post on

forums about a timing belt breaking -- when they installed a new one the engine ran rough -- when checked compression discovered that it was much lower on

2 cylinders as compared to the rest -- at the end the guy had to replace both heads.
Reply to
april1st

Here is the post I was alluding to earlier -- the codes thrown are pretty similar

Thanks,

Alex

Reply to
april1st

Same scenario recently posted on the 300M Club (300M has essentially the same exact engine - bored to different displacement):

Bill Putney

I appreciate all the replies. I was told that the 3.2L was a non- interference engine. I guess he was wrong. I'll check compression tomorrow and go from there.

Thanks again

Sam

Reply to
sdosborne via CarKB.com

You're welcome.

Oh - also the factory service manuals also state that the 3.2/3.5L engines are interference.

Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy