Sudden brake failure

I hope someone here can give me some advise, since I am way out of my depth. I have a '98 Ford Taurus, 70,000 miles. Today, someone darted in front of me and I had to slam on the brakes. When I let up on the brake, I found that I still needed to brake again, but this time, the pedal went to the floor. Pumping didn't help.

I've always followed the suggested maintenance schedule carefully and one year ago, the rear brakes were cleaned and adjusted while the car was in for some other rounetine stuff (tune-up, etc.). It has been a year and the brakes get a workout, but they have felt fine. The brake shoes were replaced 2 years ago.

My neighbor thinks that the brake line has rusted out. Does this sound like the problem?

Thanks for any help.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
kmc

It could be the problem, or you could have ruptured a hose, or had a leaky seal in a caliper or the master cylinder. Basically you need to get the car up in the air and check it out.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Are the brakes working now, or are they still not working? Did the pedal go to the floor with no resistance, or was there pressure on the pedal but no braking?

Reply to
hyundaitech

No, the brakes still aren't working and the pedal went right to floor with no resistance.

We had the car towed to the Ford dealer and they discovered that the brake line was rusted out. They thought the car had been in an accident, because something (the line, perhaps) was badly bent. They think that at some point, earlier, something may have kicked up underneath the car and bent this item and the the sudden braking was the final straw.

They had to get a new line from another state. Isn't that odd? Wouldn't they have that in stock for a '98 Taurus or be able to get one from another local dealer? Anyway, they said that the rusting may end up involving the master cylinder, as well.

I appreciate the response. My neighbor told us how to replace the line as he's skilled in that area, and was ribbing us about chickening out and having the car towed to the dealer. I told him that my husband and I shouldn't attempt fixing anything that goes 70mph, since we couldn't even fix our broken screen door last week.

KC (about to be pooer, but safer)

Reply to
kmc

Not unusual at all. Rigid brake lines last FOREVER in most parts of the country and they're not a high-volume replacement item, so they're not peppered throughout the dealer network like normal wear items (eg, water pumps, alternators) would be.

Reply to
Steve

This is one reason why you should change your brake fluid every couple of years. Brake fluid absorbs moisture in the air and then the water starts to rust the iron parts from the inside out.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

plus, most people just bend the straight generic line as needed.

Reply to
Brent P