Super low MPG in 91 Toyota Tercel

I'm getting around 20-21 MPG in my 1991 Toyota Tercel. I bought the car 4 months ago and it promptly blew a head gasket. I replaced it, had the head resurfaced, put in tons of new seals (incl. the valve stem seals) and did everything correctly when reassembling the engine. It now runs great, sounds great, starts great, never stalls. But it gets terrible mileage, right after I did all the work on it, it got 24 and every tank after that has been in the 20-21 range (accounting for the speedo that is 10% too fast). I'm gonna check the compression this afternoon.

Things to note: The cyllinder next to where the head gasket blew had a bit of surface rust on the walls, though it had the same texture by feel as the others. The engine was replaced 4 years ago withone of those 30K mile engines from japan, so there is no telling really how many miles are on it.

If the compression test comes out decently, what might be the cause?

Reply to
Danny Beardsley

What kind of driving are you doing mostly? This car is rated for 26 city. If you are doing a lot of heavy traffic driving with the air on you minght not be that far out.

Why is the speedometer reading fast? If the speedo is cable driven and has just drifted over the years then the odometer is still correct as the odometer is gear driven. If it is off due to tire size changes that could very well be where your extra mileage is going....

Check your normal tune up stuff and tire pressures. Drive like you have no brakes and an egg between your foot and the accelerator and see what the mileage does.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

This says 29 for city.

I'm about half freeway/half city and I never use the AC. The speedo and odometer are both off by about 10% (I've checked with my GPS) and yeah, it's probably cause of tire size difference. Tire pressures are fine. I read a Car And Driver article a while ago where they tried a bunch of driving styles and compared MPG. The driver that got the best milage was the one who was told to accelerate quickly to crusing speed and then keep it there. I'm gonna need new tires soon so we'll see how that affects things.

Reply to
Danny Beardsley