91 Tercel ?'s

Hello all,

I used to post here quite freqently a few years ago but stopped amist a long drawn out spell where this group was transformed into a political forum. Hachi remembers what I'm talking about. Anyhow, I recently aquired another 'Yota and have a few questions about it.

The Yota in question is a 1991 Tercel. 90,000 miles. 3EE 1.5L, 5Spd. AC (works AWESOME), rear defrost and power steering are the only options. I picked it up for $1000 a few months ago because it failed emissions. It failed because the thermostat was stuck open and the computer was stuck in rich-idle loop. A new thermostat and it passed with flying colors. $120 got me 4 new tires at Firestone. The front brake parts cost me $60 and was probably the easiest brake job I've ever done. It's red, and the paint has faded a little. The interior is like new.

The problems?

  1. It burns oil like a Ford. About 1/2 quart every time I fill up the tank. My research has shown that the valve stem seals harden and allow oil to enter the combustion chamber thus resulting in high oil consumption. Thicker oil isn't really helping. I'm planning to replace these in the next few months. Haven't decided if I'm going to pull the head or just pressurize the cylinders and do one at a time. Anything I need to know about doing this job? Anything special about pulling the head?

  1. Timing belt. The car just turned 90,000 miles. I don't know if the belt has been changed, but being that the 3EE is an interference engine, this is worrysome for me. I've never changed a timing belt before. An online manual talks about replacing the cam sproket and checking the freeplay on one of the springs. My local parts store has a Goodyear timing belt for (score!). Where can I get the required springs and tensioner pulleys? Do they even need to be replaced? What else needs to be replaced besides the timing belt but relative to the timing belt? I have not replaced a timing belt before, so any guidance would be great.

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

I'd just pressurize the ccylinders and do one at a time, assuming the valve faces are not encrusted.

The springs and tensioner pulleys are probably a dealer only item. You can probably get away with just replacing the springs. While you are into the timing belt, you may wish to replace the water pump.

Reply to
Ray O

Obviously, a new valve cover gasket is in order. I'd suggest replacing the cam seal(s) as well. Some would say to replace the front main seal while you're at it. Since you have that many miles on it, I would also suggest changing all the fluids: radiator, brake, power steering, clutch (if applicable), and transmission. There are also the filters: air, fuel, and oil.

Get it all done and you know you'll never have to worry about them.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Still is. Latest stats show all the top 10+ posts are political rubbish.

Unfortunately I cant help you with the rest of it as i have never worked on one, sorry.

Reply to
Coyoteboy