SUV's and pickups worthless?

Just saw a network news story stating that many dealers will no longer accept SUV's as trade in. Their mileage is so poor no one wants them. One dealer accepted one SUV a month ago. In that month no one has even asked to test drive it.

For many the fuel costs exceed your SUV car payments. Based on this news report, It appears that your SUV or full size pickup is either worth nothing now as a trade in or you will get almost nothing for it selling it yourself. Maybe you can sell it to a scrap iron dealer.

Reply to
Bailey B

How about citing the story (network, time, etc.). I doubt if it is true, or not as bad as you seem to be indicating.

That would depend on how many miles you drive a month. For me, insurance is a higher expense than gas (two teenage sons), despite the current high prices. If you drive 1,000 miles a moth and your SUV get

15 mpg (I got about this with the Expedition I used to own) you would spend around $250 a month on gas. I think you would have a hard time buying a $35+k SUV for $250 a month.

Typical over reaction. I just saw a story about how in Europe mid-sized SUVs are all the rage - and they still pay much more for gas than we do in the US. I think it is a good thing that the SUV / Pick-up fad is coming to an end, but for people that have a true need for such vehicles, gas prices are not as horrible as you think.

However, anyone that has a worthless 2007 Ford F350 Truck with low miles for sale, I'll be happy to give them $2k for the vehicle to get it off their hands....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

A meaningless statement.

Or seen from another perspective, if you really want to reduce the overall cost of car ownership don't buy a hybrid at a substantial premium. Just buy a heavily discounted used SUV at a very low price. Most of us are forgetting the single largest variable in car operating expense: Initial purchase price.

Or, if you are the owner of an SUV, just hold onto it...the operating cost will be less than dumping it and buying a new hybrid.

As with the real estate brokers of 2 years ago, todays car dealers love to see buyers making panic decisions. They are laughing all the way to the bank.

Reply to
John S.

Dealers will accept _anything_ as a trade-in. Just because it isn't worth anything doesn't mean they won't take it. Just that they'll give you about as much for it as they add to the price of the car they're selling.

Since I don't like SUVs, I think it's a good thing that the prices on them are dropping because it indicates lower demand in the market. If, on the other hand, you like SUVs, you should be glad that they are dropping because it means you can buy used ones for less.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Unfortunately for some people they are making significant purchases based on panic reactions to increasing gas prices.

Reply to
John S.

Ha ha. Send them to Texas. I am one of the few people here that still drives an ordinary car. Dealers hardly stock cars here any more unless they are very good sellers, like Mustangs.

Reply to
Paul

They were never worth anything to me.. Soccer moms made them a "must have".

Reply to
HLS

Hmm, maybe I should have held off on buying a pickup for a while! Of course, I seriously doubt prices of *nice* pickups (by nice, I mean something like a 3/4 ton with a manual transmission and towing package, not leather interior and nice stereo) have dropped to my level yet.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Sure. Good luck moving a fridge in your Prius. I won't pay $50k or whatever idiotic prices they want for a new truck, but I ain't getting rid of my old one either just because gas is expensive. When I need to go to Home Depot or the dump or the junkyard or helping someone move, I take the ugly old truck. When I commute to work... I don't usually.

The interesting side of that is my old truck costs a lot less to insure than a car - about 1/2 of what the Beretta does, so even at 1/2 the mileage, it's still about the same overall net cost. I just prefer driving a car vs a longbox pickup with lousy brakes and a lousy stereo in rush hour ...

Ray

Reply to
ray

aren't we all running our cars on water now? your not going to tell me the "run your car on water" post was a fraud are you?

Reply to
boxing

I think we will see prices of low mpg vehicles drop, but how much - who knows?

Reply to
John S.

That's where SUV's and most pickup truck belong anyway.

Reply to
zzyzzx

The lousy stereo is easily fixed, but you also forgot "that POS twin I- beam suspension" unless unlike apparently 90% of the pickup buyers in my area, you didn't buy a Ford.

Having occasionally driven the Ugly Truck in semi-urban traffic, however, I agree that I can't understand why someone would actively choose to do that every day. Sure, you *can,* just like you can drink cheap beer, but what are you really gaining from the exercise?

What I really don't understand is why the half-ton truck is the de facto standard pickup truck. For everything for which I actually need my truck, I find myself wishing that I'd been able to find a cheap used 3/4 ton so I didn't feel like I was overworking the one that I have.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I have heard that the dealers are accepting lease returns where the vehicle is worth $8,000 less than they expected. I suspect it would be a $50,000 SUV that comes back off the lease and they expect they can get $25,000 for it. Surprise its only worth $17,000.00

Reply to
boxing

That is what I like about my big old long tall 1978 Dodge van.I paid cash for the van when I bought it in 1989.My next liability insurance payment (every six months) of about $149.00 will be due by August 17.I have an Antique Truck license plate on my van, I dont ever have to buy a new license plate or annual license plate sticker.My van is about 18 feet long bumper to bumper.I have hauled 14 feet long boards in my van before and I could close the rear doors.I Love my big old long body 1978 Dodge van.Al Bundy would be Proud.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin