Switching From "P" to "LT" Tires on 02 Tahoe

Good Day, Has anyone here had experience with switching from the stock p265-70- R16 tires to LT265-75-R16's? Les Schwab said that the LT's would fit according to their application chart. I agreed to have them replace all 4 tires, shocks and check the alignment. Unfortunately, the front tires, primarily the right front, make contact with the fender wells when negotiating turns on rough roads. When they did the wheel alignment I asked that they check ride height. The alignment and ride height were good. After I brought it back for the contact problem they adjusted the ride height up a small amount. They also replaced the front shocks under warranty as it was handing very poorly. This adjustment had very little affect on the contact problem but the shocks did help with the handling issue. I brought it back to Schwab once again to correct the contact problem. They adjusted up the ride height even further and replaced the rear shocks as a good faith measure just in case the were bad as well. The increased ride height has stopped the contact problem but now it handles very poorly. The rake is off and it leans to the left. I have problems with it wandering, especially in a cross wind or a heavily crowned road. I wanted the load, durability and traction capabilities that the LT tire has to offer over the P and Schwab said they would work. Please let me know if they were wrong or if LT's can be used with a '02 Tahoe.

Reply to
Dale

A 265/75-16 is almost an inch taller than a 265/70-16. If you were close before, that might be the reason for the contact.

I have LT265/75-16's on my 90 K1500 and they fit fine, but they are very close to touching in multiple places.

FWIW, my next set will likely be shorter - I thought I wanted the ground clearance, but I'm mostly just annoyed by the height of the box.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Your issue is not likely the "P" vs the "LT"...it's the change in tire size. There ARE LT's available in 265/70-R16...see tirerack.com

LT's tend to have stiffer sidewalls...In my experience on an 89 S-blazer, LT's (of the same size) handled better and were less "squirmy" than P's. Don Byrer KJ5KB Power & Glider Pilot Guy kj5kb-at-hotmail.com

"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves..."

Reply to
Don Byrer

"P" are for Passenger vehicles "LT" are for Light Trucks

Reply to
m6onz5a