tension on drivebelts

Does anyone use the Burroughs or Nippondenso tensioners or do you just tighten it up good and don't worry about what the exact tension is?

Do you have a good rule of thumb for how many inches you can deflect the belt per 12 inch length or whatever? I'd like to hear it.

I don't have one of those tensioners, are they a good investment?

Reply to
roger

I'm trying to solve the same problem on a Mitsubishi. I've been told that it should be possible to deflect the belt about 1/4" in the center of its run with finger pressure. A service manual for a 1986-1989 Honda Accord says to apply 22 pounds of pressure and:

The short span alternator belt should deflect 4-6 mm new belt, 6-9 mm old belt.

The AC belt should deflect 10-12 mm. This is a medium span.

The power steering belt should deflect 14-17 mm. This is a long span.

Is it luck or what, I don't remember ever changing my alternator/water-pump belt on my 15 year old Honda.

Tibur

Reply to
Tibur Waltson