Testing Shielded Conductors?

The shielded conductor pin/wire #3, at ignition amplifier 146 (lower left), has a some surface corrosion, as it's strands wrap around the insulation of wire 653 (from pin #5), at the 146 connecting harness. Both the shielded conductor and wire 653 disappear into a wiring harness (which I'm willing to cut open)

Would it be correct that the shielded conductor has no continuity with wire 635, and that it just "starts" as "a wrap" on the wire's insulation at some point up in the wiring harness?

i.e., how do I test that the shielded conductor is good?

http://68.18.155.212/electrical_system_folder/ezkwir.htm

Thank you, Lance

Reply to
LanceM

test for a path to pin 3 from the other end of the sheild, also check to make sure the sheild isn't shorting to pin5. Is this on a SAAB or Volvo? In all likelyhood you need a new amp, they commonly die. Pat

Reply to
Pat Ford

Okay. Will do. So assume the other end of the shield just "starts" somewhere on wire 653. I'm leery about just using a continuity ck, but perhaps that suffices for shielded conductors

And I was uncertain what's it's function was wrt plugging into pin #3 of the amp

Did ck and it's not

Sorry - I should have stated. It's a 91 Saab 900S

I've tried different amps w/o change, so am digging deeper into the wiring (amongst other ignition components and wiring)

Thank you

Reply to
LanceM