The bar has been raised by AMSOIL... Again!

25 k mile or annual Spin On Ea Oil Filters and High Performance Air filters that flow like wet gauze and cost half as much! lubedealer.com/ramble/
Reply to
RAMBLE

Talk is cheap. But then, I wouldn't go with such a maintenance schedule even if you did produce hard data (which I'll bet you can't).

Reply to
<HLS

Nanofiber technology has been used by the military, just read the research and lab tests, which are well known by technicians who work in gas and diesel. My point was only to reply to the prior post. The fact is that there are now filtration products to support drain intervals of this magnitude. This is also why BMW, GM, and Mercedes, to name a few, use monitoring systems, that allow you to go a year between oil changes. In terms of hard data, start with "The MotorOil Bible", and read the manufacturers TSBs on extended drain intervals and filters. Why do you think Mobil has jumped on this bandwagon?

Reply to
RAMBLE

Garbage at half price is still garbage....

That crap isn't good enough for new vehicle warranties so I won't use it in my old Jeeps, one of which has passed 300K and still going strong on dino oil.

A friend sold that shit, no one would buy it, he has too many smart friends, so he gave me a bunch of oil. I tossed it out in the recycle bin. Wouldn't even subject my lawnmower to it, let alone my Jeeps.

Aren't you supposed to lose the right to sell that crap when you SPAM newsgroups with your advertising?

Naw, they couldn't do that I guess. LOL! SPAM is the only way for them to find suckers.

Mike

Mike Romain

It seems to me that nano particle filters would trap nano particles, get clogged up quickly, and would only last a few hundred miles before going into bypass mode.

Reply to
« Paul »

This is just a forum for enthusiasts, not spam. You are entitled to your opinion, but seem to be in a minority.

Reply to
RAMBLE

Actually, because of the spanof filtration media that is available, the opposite is true.

Reply to
john.hayesjr

Actually synthetic oils do offer many advantages over petroleum oils, but they also have significant downsides as well. There is a reason all turbine engines in aviation use synthetics and all reciprocating engines still use Aeroshell.

Synthetic oils have good application in racing cars and in extremely hot and cold environments.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Bret, Thank you for the intelligent discourse. This has been our exrerience with racing motors, high load street applications and high load marine uses.

Which petroleum base oil atribute is desired in the reciprocating Airplane engines?

Reply to
cmp105r1

You *ARE* spamming the newsgroup, idiot.

Reply to
mst

AMSoil made an aircraft oil for awhile. It worked OK in smaller engines running auto fuel or 80/87 but in the big GTSIO TCM and TGIO Lycs running 100/130 the TEL in the fuel formed deposits, the oil did not break them down and they plugged oil galleries and suchforth, and since AMSoil had paid stupid money for product liability insurance (which is like wearing KICK ME on your ass) there was a debacle.

Many Experimental operators run AMSoil or other synthetic products in Lycomings on auto gas and have no problems, but the company officially has to turn a gimlet eye.

Also aircraft rubber products tend to be obsolete formulations because of type certification and there are _even more_ compatibility issues to deal with.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Dude, you SPAMMED your site that sells Amsoil. That's supposed to be a big no no isn't it?

Should we contact them and ask?

I have no issues with an oil and filter discussion, but when it is started by a commercial entity with a SPAM link, then it isn't any 'discussion' any more, just pure BS SPAM.

Just 'my' opinion....

Mike

Mike Romain

Mentioning a url once on a post regarding Amsoil, from an Amsoil question is spam? I cant find that reference.

Reply to
cmp105r1

Are you that stupid?

There was 'No' question involved, there was a blatant advertisement for spamsoil that I objected to.

Now you have me convinced I should ask Amsoil about it just to be sure SPAM is allowed by them and I wasn't mistaken.

Mike

Mike Romain

I use a dino-synthetic blend like 1 qt 'Mobil 1 to 3 qts 'Mobil 5000'

I read on an oil site that this would allow you to derive some benifit from the synthetic while not giving up the dino benefits.

Does this sound reasonable given your comment regardig pro/cons for both synth and dino oil ?

I was convinced that synthetics additionally have good applications in most :) lubricating environments for their coating/adhesion performance or can i infer from your comment hat synthetics are overused / overkill in non-extreme environment usage ?

Reply to
Rob B

First off DIY mixing of lube oils is always a bad idea. Oil manufacturers put a lot of different things in their oils, and they do not tell you exactly what, and some of those things may not like each other. Pick one oil and stick with it. In regular car service, it's usually best to go with something you can get readily.

Secondly, the downsides of synthetic oils are: poorer adhesion when engine is shut down, lowwer corrosion protection when engine is shut down, lower capacity to hold dirt, contaminants and lead in suspension: and always, gasket and seal compatibility issues.

If you are a hardcore DIYer and can drop an engine or trans to change out a seal this is less important than if you are nursing an old beater with no ACV and losing a seal means a repair bill that will end the car's life. Hardcore DIYers mostly avoid the stuff like the plague. GUBbers-gullible affluent urban bumblers- are the market the synthetic oil vendors seem to target.

Synthetic oils work great in fleet situations where vehicles are in constant use and are maintained by people who get a flat salary. For Joe Average they are not a great idea except in vehicles the manufacturer has warranted and supported their use...and in that case you need to use the oil they specify. Which is probably not a product, whatever virtues it may have, sold on a multi-level-marketing basis.

The big justification in using synthetics, unless you live in extreme environments, is extended drain intervals. Oil, regular oil, is cheap. And when I drain it I can put it in the fuel tank of one of our diesel generators or my truck. I would not do that with synthetic oils!

I have no beef with Al D'Amatuzzio and AMSoil. The products are mostly pretty good. I have used them in a few situations where appropriate. The pricing is a little high. I DO have a beef with multi-level marketing in general. It is usually a thinly designed pyramid scheme and as a business model has serious structural flaws. No MLM has ever truly succeeded.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Synthetics are the best thing for an infrequently used motor. When Mobil marketed AV-1 synthetic for piston powered aircraft engines one of the hallmarks was vastly superior protection from corrosion while the plane sat idle. An article in one of the general aviation mags on AV-1 stated that the standard test was to dip a piece of steel into the oil and place it in a salt mist chamber to simulate accerated corrosion. I recall that regular oil would last ~25 hours before rust would set in. The AV-1 went for something like 200 hours (they stopped the test early since this was vastly longer than the standard required anyway). AV-1 was also rated by engine manufacturers for 200 hours of service (versus 50 hours for regular, which interestingly is equivalent to 3000 car driven miles at 60 miles an hour). Unfortunately the oil did not suspend lead contaminates at all well and caused some engines considerable damage. And so AV-1 was pulled form the market. The seal is issue is no issue at all with modern (last 30 year or so) engines. And M1 is factory fill for a veritable who's who list of manufacturers.

Reply to
Kevin G

thanks for info , i suppose i need to read more tests/research.

Mobil sells a sythetic blend for about half the price of Mob-1 ( 2 times Mob-5000), but the container did not address the blend ratio so that seemed suspiciously like a marketing scam to me if the quantity of synthetic was extremely low then you paying for dino at 2 times price.

I suspected Mobil blend is just the synthetic + dino, is Mobil really going to create a new synthetic (and/or dino) just to blend with the dino ?

thanks again for reply robb

Reply to
Rob B