Thermostat?

My truck:

2000 Mazda B4000, 4.0L V6, 5spd, 4x4, extended cab. It won't heat up. Before, I remember when I started it, and it warmed up, the temp gauge would stay at just under 1/2 way, I had constant heat, etc. Laitly I have noticed when I start it, the temp gauge goes to about where it used to, then falls, then it will go about 1/3 of the way, then fall. It will keep doing that, for a bit, then it will level out depenting on how hard I am working the motor. If I do a hard hill climb, it will come up to about where it used to be (about 1/2 way) but as soon as I am off the gas it drops right back down to just above the C mark, or even under it!

At first I sorta thought it might just be the sensor/gauge, but the hot air changes with the gauge, making me thing that it's the thermostat.... Last night I was coming home loaded with wood from the shop (about an hour's drive) it was a little below freezing, most of it is flat road, 5th gear doing about 100km/h not pushing it that hard, the heat was all the way to "hot" and it was a nice temp in the cab. Going up a small mountain pass (about a 15 min climb, 4th gear, still holding 100km/h) the temp gauge was up to about normal(middle of the gauge) and I had to turn the heat down 'cause it was getting way to hot in the cab. On the way down (about 10 min, 4th gear, little or no gas pedal) the temp drops to under the C (about where it normally is when you start it cold) and I got no hot air. I realize that it should change a little bit going up/down and such, but it's not holding temp like it used to. Can someone confirm my Thermostat thought, and recommend a thermostat that I should get, or just goto the Ford/Mazda dealer and pick one up? Thanks! ~Brian

Reply to
<not

Check your antifreeze level, and you may have an air bubble trapped in the cooling system. Check it with the engine hot, and the heater fan on high.

Reply to
Bob M.

Crap don't do that!!!!!

That is a real good way to get 3rd deg burns!!

You open the cap when cold and let it heat up with the cap off.

Mike

"Bob M." wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Sorry, I should have mentioned that too, Rad is full, the reservoir tank on the side is between the full and min mark cold, and a little over the full line hot

~Brian

Reply to
<not

It does sound like the thermostat is worn out.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain