1989 Tercel Problem:

Hi a Buddy handed me this one and I've gotta come through: It's a 1989 Tercel 1.5l with 85000 miles on it. The car came in to him for a driveability problem: Hard starting, won't idle, even feathering the throttle won't keep it running. The fuel pressure checks okay, he changed the plugs, cap/rotor/wires/filters, all of the usual suspects, were replaced based upon age/miles, and the fact that they were OEM. There are no codes retrievable from the ECM, although he swapped it out for a new one. He also replaced the carburetor with a reman (Tomco) thinking it would be a good fix. No joy, it runs the same. I think that the Tomco has internal leaks (typical of a Tomco) any ideas with this puppy are appreciated.

Have a great one!

Bush

Reply to
Bush

Since you listed a lot of things but not this: Did he check the obvious: compression in each cylinder?

Reply to
gregory trimper

Hows the timing? Timing belt may be loose or may have slipped. With

85k it may be due for a change anyway.
Reply to
John W.