Ticking in rear wheel

I have a 2002 Chevy Cavalier and about 2 months after I bought it I noticed a ticking coming from one of the rear wheels. I brought it back to the dealership and of course they couldn't find anything. The tick increases and decreases with speed and stops when I apply the brakes. It has gotten pretty bad. Now, when I apply the brakes the car actually shakes to the ticking. I am not very good with cars at all so I have no clue what is going on. I am going to bring it into a mechanic but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts before I did so. Thanks a bunch!

Reply to
A.C.Bergeron

OK - here go some thoughts. You may be mistaken about where the sound comes from. From the driver's seat sounds can be deceiving. You may want to attempt to ascertain where the sound is coming from from outside the car with some one else driving it slowly. That bit of misdirection may be why they didn't find a problem the first go round, or maybe not, that's just a guess. Also, it is possible that there is no direct connection between the ticking and the problem you now have with the brakes. All the wheels turn at about the same rate so you could now have developed 2 problems that just seem related. The ticking got worse so that is definitely not a good sign. If I had to guess I would say you had a hair-line crack in a brake rotor and now its pretty badly warped also. More than likely its one of your front wheels. Main point -> Get it looked at now before it becomes a disaster.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Reply to
Wm Watt

Reply to
Ken

Bring it back to them and let them take a ride with you and point out the noise you are hearing.....tell them that isn't normal.

Fwed

Reply to
fweddybear