Ticking Noise on 94 Isuzu Rodeo

Hey, I've got this horrible ticking noise in the engine that is very inconsistant. It started w/ just doing it after 20minutes or more at a sustained speed on the freeway when I got off the freeway, it would start making the noise at around 2700rpm and as I reved down down. You can hear it really good at Idle. I've tried all accessory belts, and they aren't making the noise. I've tried devarnishing the engine w/ "GUNK" and changing the oil immediatelly, but it produced no results. If, when it's making the noise, I shut off the engine for a hot second, and turn it back on, the truck runs fine thereafter. Another symptom is that is sounds a little like a diesel at idle from the inside of the truck. I read on the net that this is due to a worn out timing belt tensioner. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
CoreyMDean

If it's the tensioner, it will always knock... loudly... when the RPM is below 2500 RPM or so. Not ticking, knocking. Always.

You might try changing oil filter. I have gotten the ticking problem when using premium brand filters, like the Purolator Pur-One line. The ticking will start after running for constant speed for 1/2 hour or so, then stop after letting it sit a while. If I use a plain old Fram I never get it.

I've been using low weight (5w20) Mobil 1 for some time, since about

90K. It has 120K now. The engine used to tick mildly most of the time but. Mobil1 has controlled the ticking except when I use the premium brand filters.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

It's either the timing belt tensioner or the famous HLA (Hydraulic Lash Adjuster) issue thatpops up with this engine. You'll have to look back in this group for my posting on my "job" I did to fix mine in my 1995 Honda Passport.

Good luck.

AJP

Reply to
ajpdla