Timing Chain Jump - '92 Buick Skylark

The timing chain jumped on a friend's 1992 Buick Skylark 2.3 liter with single overhead camshaft. I think it has a hydraulic tensioner. Could the tensioner failing cause it to jump? How do I find out if there is a recall on this problem? I think this engine is also called a "Quad 4" engine. Any help will be appreciated.

Bill Boler

Reply to
Bolers

Shep

The Quad 4 engine was supposedly a super engine, techonologically advanced and would be GM's answer to everything out there. About that time I had bought a new '88 Cougar and a buddy of mine bought a Pontiac Grand Am Quad 4 a month or two later. He rubbed in my face that the engine in my Cougar was aging and that his car was much, much better. Anyway, his car had engine problems galore, especially in the ignition department. I think he was getting the coils replaced about every 3-4 months, all under warranty of course. He sold his car right before the warrany on the car expired because GM never could get the ignition system to work for more than a few months at a time. I think he also had an engine replaced because of the crankshaft mains had cracked. (He stopped bragging about his car soon after he bought it) I believe he had his car's ignition system worked on close to 20 times.

300K miles later I still have my Cougar and I've yet to pull a valve cover or oil pan off. Sometimes the "high tech" can come back to bite you.
Reply to
Kruse

Well, surprise, surprise...it wasnt quite the superengine it was hyped to be

Reply to
hls