cost ? timing chain replacement 1989 buick park avenue 6cyl 3.8

Hi all,

I took my car in today because of the amount of noise it was making , thinking exhaust pipe shot, and was told the muffler was bad AND the timing chain was bad , making lots of noise at idle. Since the cars performance was very poor I am willing to believe that ( mechanic not good reputation but only one in area) . He quoted $400 for the job.

Since the timing chain seems to be about a $30 part, is about 6-7 hours labour ($50/hour) fair for this ? Are there other parts that should be replaced at the same time . ?

The car was $500 at a local estate auction and has about 150,000 miles . I dont think spending that much is a waste since I know the rest of the car was in good condition and I would rather fix it than buy another cheap one .

Reply to
marks542004

Be careful.. I dont know what you mean by "( mechanic not good reputation but only one in area)". Get a second opinion by a mechanic whose reputation is good in all areas. And I dont necessarily mean a dealership.

It takes time to put a timing chain in a car. He should examine the gears for wear, and the tensioner. He will also have to use new gaskets, and they are not expensive, but not free either. I certainly dont think $400 is too high if needed parts are replaced and the job is done correctly.

Some GM engines threw off the magnetic valve gear position sensor easily. The cars would still run, but it wasnt optimum, and might set check engine lights. If this applies to your car, I would want it replaced.

Reply to
HLS

if the timing chain has jumped the compression will be low in all cylinders. If the compression is good then it's not the timing chain.

Reply to
boxing

The timing chains in that vintage were a weak point because of the nylon encase cam sprocket. Failure was normal in the

100K + mileage range. The quoted price does not lok out of line. I would ask that the timing set be replaced with standard steel sprockets - not the OEM "silent" type. You will have to listen very closely to tell the difference and the all steel sprockets are much more durable. While the work is being done, make sure the water pump and oil pump are attended. Replace the WP - rebuild the OP. Also, make sure the oil pan gasket is replaced with the later style with a metal insert in the side rails. The originals were notorious for failing and leaking oil all over the place. Last one I bought was a Felpro costing about $35. Other than those items, that engine is damn near bullet proof. Once this is done it will probably wear out another car and a couple of sawmills.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut