Timing specification for a 1997 V8 350 in a truck.

Hello

I am helping out on putting together a V8 350 engine in a truck. I can't find the timing specification (8 degrees BTDC???) for this engine/truck. It has HEI and no vaccuum port on the dizzy.

Plus, any trick on installing the distributor? I think we have it slightly off and it is not firing but there is gas, and air. So I suspect timing is off. What is a good method for setting the static timing on this engine?

Reply to
yelcab2

There is no static ignition timing on a 97 Chevy truck with a 350. The ignition system is triggered off of a crankshaft position sensor and is not adjustable.

There is a specific procedure for installing the distributor and making sure that the camshaft position sensor is synchronized correctly, initial installation is covered in the factory service manual, Mitchell On Demand and Alldata, final adjustment requires a capable scan tool.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

How tight did you set the valves? I've seen this symptom in several where the valves set too tight by a novice resulting in little if any compression on a fresh start.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut
  1. I did not notice a crankshaft position sensor, but I am new to GM. What does it look like an where is it so I can inspect it.
  2. Where would the camshaft position sensor be?
  3. I did find the valves to be all loose, so I adjusted 8 valves on 1 TDC, and then 8 more on 6 TDC. I adjust until all push rods cannot rotate anymore, and then 1 full turn beyond that (according to the after market manual)

According to the same manual, the dizzy installation instruction is a little vague and hard to understand. It also calls for final adjustment using a scan tool that I do not have. All I want to do is to get the thing to fire and then I can further use a timing light to inspect it. The way I did it is 1) mark the position of the 1 position on the dizzy base, 2) bring cyl 1 to tdc, 3) line up the oil pump gear, 4) rotate the rotor back and install the dizzy. The end result is the trailing edge of the rotor edge lines up with the #1 mark I made. I would have felt more comfortable with it being the leading edge of the rotor. I can actually rotate the dizzy to make that , but should I? Or should I remove the dizzy and do it again?

Can you give instruction to install the dizzy?

Reply to
yelcab2

One BIG correction, it is a 1994 K2500 PU 4WD, 5.7L V8 (sorry , it is not my truck otherwise I would have gotten it right the first tim).

Reply to
yelcab2

Now that you've corrected your model year information, you can stop looking for the crank and cam position sensors, they aren't there in 1994 model year.

You've bottomed out the lifters. Go back and readjust them, go 1/2 turn from where the slop is taken up in the rocker arm.

TDC #1 cylinder on compression stroke, align rotor so that it points to #1 terminal on distributor cap.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Thank you That was it!.

There was no compression so the valves were too tight. Went back, adjusted them looser, found TDC 1, lined up the leading edge of the rotor to the 1 mark on the dizzy. There were sparks, air, fuel, correct timing and the engine fired right up.

All is well. Thanks again.

Reply to
yelcab2