Tire advice needed - Chevelle Malibu 72

Hi, I have an old Chevelle Malibu 72 and its time for new tires. I have been doing research on google to try to find out about any current recall, tread/belt separation or other defect complaints or anything else I should know about the following tires to make a choice between the three..? Dayton or Dunlop or Uniroyal I have been using 235/60/14 the ride is fine "for me" I use old aluminum mag rims...also fine for me

Most of the links I have found are company produced PR stuff. .any direct experience out there? Tips / Links ? (also I have looked at this site but the news stops abt 1999 tires: tiredefects.com/ ) Thanks in advance Teacup

Reply to
Sue Doe Nyme

IMO, the very best modern tire for a muscle car is the BF Goodrich Radial T/A. I've used Dunlop GT Qualifiers twice, and they're unmitigated garbage. Never again. I've also used Kellys a time or two with good results. Don't know about the Uniroyals or Daytons, but I do know that BFG has never let me down.

FWIW, Discount Tire sells re-badged BFG tires ("Phantom" is their house branded version) and re-badged Kellys ("Road Hugger") for a good bit less than you can buy the name branded tires. I've heard claims that re-badged tires are usually made with old tooling that the name-brand company doesn't use anymore, but I've had no complaints with Discount's store-brand tires.

Reply to
Steve

I will second that most heartily. The BFG Radial T/A is a *fantastic* tire on older RWD cars. I've run them on three different '60s Mopars with excellent results.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J Stern

[snip]
[snip]

Thank you for the input. The local tire shop only had the 3 listed but after you posted a friend told us the same thing about BFG and also good places to get them (walmart). So I looked for more info. Low profile looks good on my car too. More research found that some have concerns about wet weather traction...(for instance the following quote I found online) "Would not use on my daily driver. Cheap, look good, ok acceleration & braking in the dry, good wear, soft sidewalls, ok grip but flexy through the corners. Scary in the wet. Good for your old fair-weather muscle car." so does Goodyear have more stable sidewalls? True I rarely drive this car and in So. Cal so its basically a fair weather ride but I really freak out when I peel rubber or spin the wheels without wanting to and don't want to think about hydroplane in wet weather so still researching. Do you drive in the rain with them?

teacup

Reply to
Sue Doe Nyme

Thank you for the input please read my other response and also to you too.. have read some fears about traction if the road is wet or not perfect also supposedly Goodyear's last longer but sounds like old muscle car owners like the looks of BFG better. Any experience/knowledge about sidewall weakness, traction on wet roads and lifespan?

teacup

Reply to
Sue Doe Nyme