Re: Tire Rotation

AFAIK there is no best way... I've always heard, "Pick a rotation and stick with it". n.

Is there a consensus on the most beneficial tire rotation method? > > > > -- > Billy snipped-for-privacy@SPAM.fuse.net (remove SPAM) > 2002 Jeep WJ 4 Liter Automatic > Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat >
Reply to
Nathan Otis

Only that the lack there of is bad.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Billy Ray did pass the time by typing:

Many schools of thought, I prefer to keep the tires rotating the same direction so it's front to back.

Reply to
DougW

I used to do a 5 tire rotation in a counterclockwise direction. Now I got some BFG's off of ebay for a good price but the spare's tread is minimal, so I won't be putting it in rotation. I like the idea of getting them on the other side of the vehicle, I was thinking of doing the criss-cross (left front to the right rear).

jaco

Reply to
jaco
5 tire rotation:

Spare -> RR -> RF -> LR -> LF -> Spare.

4 tire rotation:

RR -> RF -> LR -> LF -> RR.

Reply to
bllsht

Rotate at 10,000 km or so (road tires). I do front to back ... rationale: the tires on the front tend to become rounded because they're steering.

Reply to
Bowgus

Tires should rotate around. It's always best if they are attached to something.

Reply to
J Strickland

Radials should be kept on the same side, not crossed to the other side.

Reply to
J Strickland

I know it aint a Jeep, but my BMW says NOT to rotate tires.

Reply to
J Strickland

That is just another reason they are inferior to Audi quattros

Reply to
Billy Ray

Jeff, that hasn't been true in many years... really. :) That particular problem was originally caused when they tried to make the new radial tires using the same equipment designed for bias-belted tires. Since the manufacturers finally sorted through all those early manufacturing bugs, it's been totally safe to cross sides except on unidirectional tires.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I've always just rotated clockwise. I've been rotating my MTRs clockwise since the day I got 'em and I've got over 35K on 'em... No sign of seperation.

YMMV (HAHA!!! That's a joke) n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

To clarify my original question I would be doing a 4 wheel rotation. The spare is a Wrangler ST and I would rather not have mismatched quality tires.

Billy Ray

Do not cross the tires. Keep the left tires on the left side and the right tires on the right side.

Reply to
J Strickland

That isn't necessarily true. Tire Rack themselves recommends alternate rotation patterns... BUT their first advice is to read your owner's manual.

Dunno about your Jeep, but the FSM for mine explicitly says to do front to back rotation only due to the wear patterns. Some tire vendors will also recommend against side swapping, e.g. asymmetric treaded tires like some of the Pirelli 4x4 series.

J Strickland proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
bllsht

Most of them do not recommend that anymore. And none of them suggest that not crossing them is a bad thing.

There is nothing wrong with crossing them unless there is a specific reason not to, ie.: directional tires. But when there is any doubt, there is nothing wrong with keeping the left tires on the left side and the right tires on the right side. Many automakers these days suggest that rotating tires is not necessary at all. If one has to ask, what is the correct way to rotate tires, this person can be told to keep them on the same side and he'll get through his life just fine.

Reply to
J Strickland

Reply to
Jerry Bransford