Tire load

Parking here is extremely tight. Hence softroading is common if not mandatory :-[ I got onto a packed dirt embankment lately and it looked like the rear right was nearly off the ground (A4 with sport suspenders has extremely beefy front and rear sway bars and i think that was a contributing factor to my one-wheel-in-the-air scenario).

The Michelin X-Ice 2 are 195 65R15 and the front right tire was severely squished, as if it had 10psi (it actually is inflated to 32). It seems that two diagonally opposed tires (FR & RL) were severely overloaded while FL was carrying maybe 1/8th of the car weight. XI2 survived somehow with about 3800lbs worth of a car essentially resting on 2.5 tires; thusly I wonder to what extent the passenger tires are overbuilt.

Me thinks if I have 91 load rating that's 1356lbs and 3800/2.5 is

1520lbs. If one manages to get two tires in the air that's 1900lbs per tire - waaaay over the 1356lbs rating. A blowout is sure to follow or not?

Now suppose I deflate to 25lbs before venturing into soft sands, load capacity should drop lower yet, right?

thanks

Reply to
AD

you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. "load rating" for a tire is that which is safe when driven at 100+ mph, at maximum air pressure from sea level up to 10,000 ft+, when the outside temp is 120F. and that's dynamic, not static,

you're static, you're not over-inflated, and you're not overheated. i'd get back to calculating how many grains of sugar to put in your morning coffee before over-thinking stuff like this again.

Reply to
jim beam

Absolutely hilarious! Post of the year!

Dave

Reply to
D. LaCourse

____________________

Just as an aside - what are the speed ratings of your tires? Typically you'll see an S,T,H, or V rating mixed in with the size. Mine are P-205/60*H*R-16. The answer you give may explain the appearance of your sidewalls.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

195/65R15 T91

I was thinking its Q but given no studs Michelin seems to be confident the tire will survive past 100mph.

My suspicion this is solely for the end of life when you have less then 4mm of thread remaining and want to "finish it off" in summer.

Maybe it's an euro thing: the lack of P prefix for the euro market tires: I typically see C postfix for cargo van tires. Such as 205/70R15C for example. I don;t think I saw that in the US

per chart at the bottom of this article

for T speed rating dynamic load rating is no different that static load rating or whatever is that jim beam have made up.

Reply to
AD

this table

shows ZERO change in Tire Load Capacity at the speeds above 100mph. If you read my original post (you did that at least once, right, funny guy?) you would see that the discussion is for winter rubber (which is typically rated Q for the hardcore and so on, usually ending up somewhere in the laidback winter T territory in case you haven't been paying attention)

but, then, there is always an opportunity for the next stand up comedian wannabe to practice his clown act on the wide fields of the usenet.

now lets try alt.autos.subaru now that the group haven't seen a tire thread in a while :)

Reply to
AD

I certainly can't speak to a lot about tires, and even less about winter driving, but you can find multiple pictures of vehicles on the track or autoX-ing that are making a turn and have one, maybe both, inside tires in the air. For those few milliseconds, all the vectored forces are on 2 tires - and those forces are 'almost' rolling the tire off the rim!

Most engineers derate their designs. And for tires, they have to consider what forces it could survive under the worst circumstances -

7 years old, worn to the wear bars and improperly inflated in -40 OR 115degreeF weather. What a new, properly inflated/maintained tire can SURVIVE is a lot different than 'recommended use'.
Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

On 11/21/2011 05:37 AM, 1 Lucky Texan wrote: <snip>

if this guy can read an article from tire rack, which is aimed pretty danged low, and still fail to understand, then i think we're wasting our time.

Reply to
jim beam

I had that happen to me the other day. The tire looked deflated but it was approaching 40 lbs when I measured it. These are Michelin Pilots. I don't much care for them cause the rubber seems awfully soft and it's all tore up.

Reply to
dsi1

_______________________ "T"?? I'm surprised. Typcially V- or higher speed-rated tires have more flexible sidewalls that appear flattish even at spec PSI. And 65 is hahhdly low profile as far as contemporary tires go.

hmmm.

-CC

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

On 11/21/2011 11:37 AM, ChrisCoaster wrote: _

My tires have fooled me many times. I guess that's why I keep it at 40 lbs. It also has some weird thing going on with the sidewalls. It looks like it's riding on them about halfway up. It's the darnedest thing that I've never seen before. This is on a Hyundai Sonata. I wanted a nice, comfortable, inexpensive family car but those 50 series, V-rated, tires are going to cost a lot to replace.

Reply to
dsi1

Story reminds me what dealer said to me in the 70s where euro tires did not hold up over Pittsburgh potholes. He mentioned Michelin. He was showing how stiff these v rated Ferrari designed Michelin xwx tires rated v. Wow that was $600 in 1978 dollars for the set.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

No. I ran v rated tires and the are really stiff. Made my datsun run like go cart. You can't push on side of car and make them sway like lesser rated speed.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

A v tire has a lot more strength and will take more static load, but still has to be downgraded to pass speed test.

Appearance should not change unless something's broke.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You can downgrade speed ratings, just don't mix types. V's on the back will give you oversteering with h's on the front. V is more sporty and rough riding.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Hopefully, I can get the tire guys to sell me downgraded tires although my guess is that it's tough to find cheap 50 series tires. The most I've spent on tires before is something like $250 for 4.

Reply to
dsi1

I think I know the type: the one who tries to shuffle incompetence under the mask condescending remarks. Any other houses of cards you want to show me? Lets discuss the likelyhood of honda offering a Fit with a turbodiesel in the states hoping that VW marketing missed something. Do you still want to humor me?

Reply to
AD

There is a lot of Michelin Pilot models covering a few performance categories. Do be sure to provide the full model name.

Well, "highway all-season" category seems to have been created for people who value durability over grip. Also you could try to go to a smaller wheel diameter necessitating a taller sidewall to keep outer tire diameter about the same.

If you do not meticulously check the pressure just about every other morning you could also consider trading up to the current crop: from what I hear uncle sam was insistent on making tire pressure monitoring standard recently. Sigh.

Reply to
AD

Pilot MXM4 P225/50R17 93V - any info on what the "93" means? I probably won't be getting Michelin tires again unless they're going for a low price. I never did like that brand for some reason. OTOH, I used to have skinny Michelins on my VW Rabbit. Those worked pretty good. If I entered a corner a little too fast, the car would just slip sidewards without under or over steer. That was fun stuff.

I like to buy cheap tires cause I don't drive long distances nor do I go very fast. According to my on-board computer, my average speed is 14 MPH. (-:

Reply to
dsi1

your post was just chicken little nonsense. either you knew that and are pissed that people aren't playing your little game. or you didn't but are having a problem with learning something new.

sure, go ahead and share what you think you know. but don't bother if you just want to speculate or rumor.

Reply to
jim beam