Shifter extremely tight after ATF change

I just had my manual tranny fluid changed (the shop used synthetic ATF). The first day all was ok, but this morning, shifting was pretty tight the first 5 minutes or so. (It was a cold night). Is this normal? With original tranny fluid, shifting was always smooth regardless of outside temp. I don't see any signs of leaks and was just curious since I thought only 90W gear fluid needed to be warmed up , not ATF.

Thanks Mark

2000 GT ' vert
Reply to
Mark G7#9

I heard some places use 30W oil in manual transmissions with better results. No reason to use ATF, because that was designed for automatics. That is what I have heard, don't know for sure.

Reply to
chuck

The T45 is supposed to be filled with ATF (meeting ford's specs for a ford application). My guess this was done to reduce the number of different types of fluids ford had to buy/stock. Some people have used other lubricants in T45s, I assume with various degrees of success and failure.

The only times the trans on my '97 has been stiff shifting wise has been in sub-zero cold. I can't recall it happening since I switched it to syn ATF though. It might have and I just immediately dismissed it as normal.

Reply to
Brent

First the trouble codes, now this? I'm thinking maybe a different shop. I use Redline D4 ATF in my T45 and it shifts just fine.

Reply to
GILL

First the trouble codes, now this? I'm thinking maybe a different shop. I use Redline D4 ATF in my T45 and it shifts just fine.

Reply to
GILL

Mark,

Any chance they put old style gear lube in it? Doing that would kill the T5's synchronizers. On a T5 they have paper like friction surfaces. Sorry have not been in a T-45. but I think they are close relatives.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

not sure what you mean... my understanding is that synchros are made of brass or some more 'advanced' material rather than having 'friction surfaces' like a clutch or brake lining. That is they are the friction material all the way through... I suppose some of the specialized material ones might be ruined by the wrong lubricant but the more likely result would be increased wear that could be stopped by a drain and re-fill.

I've been inside a T-45 but not a T-5 and I didn't notice anything but solid parts, nothing that appeared coated or bonded... or are you talking about a surface treatment... like a case hardening?

Reply to
Brent

No. In a T-5, first and second synchronizers are three peice. Look at this:

Look at 83, 83A and 83B. 83A would be the lined part.

Made me work to find that picture:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

That's a cool web site! Says the t-5 uses a paper lined 1-2 syncro and the t-45 uses a carbon lined friction ring.

Reply to
GILL

They changed from Mercon to 90W gear oil (the tech claimed that on manuals with over 100K this is much better and he has a few manual Stangs). It's still a bit tight when cold but is very smooth later.

Reply to
Mark G7#9

Who changed to 90W? Not Ford....There's your answer.

Reply to
GILL

Believe me. I'd get that in writing. Put the Ford recommended fluid in it NOW!

Al

Reply to
Big Al

So, you're saying you have a T-45 and a "mechanic" put 90 wt gear oil in it??

Reply to
WindsorFo

They changed from Mercon to 90W gear oil (the tech claimed that on manuals with over 100K this is much better and he has a few manual Stangs). It's still a bit tight when cold but is very smooth later.

If it were me, I'd be talking to Ford first and an attorney second. It's my understanding that those trannies were not designed to run regluar gear oil.

Reply to
I'm Back!!!

"I'm Back!!!" > the t-45 uses a carbon lined friction ring.- Hide quoted text -

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the transmission will need to be completely torn down and thoroughly cleaned before being filled back up with the correct fluid.

Reply to
MR M.R.

I bought an 86 GT back in 88 that had gear oil, (I think this was around the time Ford switched to ATF) but I replaced it with the right ATF and it was fine for many years. (Just a back yard fluid change)

Reply to
GILL

The manual says 2000 GT has a T50 D tranny. You guys are scaring me. I didn't find anything on the web that says gear oil will damage the T50. Just to review, I had the original ATF swapped (with tranny flush as well) for synthetic after 104K. It was very hard to shift when cold after the swap, so the mechanic (at no charge), put in thicker oil (I'm not sure if it's 90W, but he called it gear oil). The tech claimed that all his manual cars (including a nice BMW M3) had gear oil and it was only tight when they are cold but get very smooth later. If I go back for the 3rd time, I'm pretty sure I'll get into a big fight. Do they really need to flush again to put in ATF?

Reply to
Mark G7#9

You probably won't find anything that filling it with WD40 will damage anything as well ;) What you need to look for is some sort of verification that the 90W is acceptable.

I remember way back people would fill the mustang T5s (and maybe T45s) with the GM syncromesh (think that's what it was called) fluid. Purchased right from the GM dealer and was the GM recommended lubricant for the same transmissions in their cars as I recall.

Reply to
Brent

That's correct according to what I've been told.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Ok, I'm not touching that, I'd be glad to tell you what I would have done instead, but that's water under the bridge. If it were me I would make 1000% sure it had ATF in it.

Reply to
WindsorFo