Toyota just lost a sale

Probably for a couple reasons. Move holes from the floorpan to the firewall. And the natural angle with the bottom hinge is a trap for debris. Not that I haven't had dropped stuff catch behind a top-hinged pedal. Just guesses.

Don't know anything about that. Do seem to recall some kind of roller on pedal assemblies long, long ago.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Floor mounted gas pedal would also add steps to the assembly process, since it would have to go in after the carpet. Other than an old VW I had, I haven't seen a floor-mounted pedal since some of the 1960s GM boats. I'm sure there were others out there, but I never sat behind the wheel of one.

Reply to
aemeijers

........... Yeah Larry, but did any of them actually run? LOL How you doing Larry? Just kidding you.

Reply to
Phil

Unfortunately most people don't actually read the articles. I wasn't worried by this "issue" at all. We never even gave it a thought when car shopping. However, I've had two different friends call me and warn me about the dangerous new Toyota my mother is driving. The SO has had a friend call her about her RAV4 and her daughters 4Runner (neither of which has been recalled)

On the other hand, the SO's father (a loyal Toyotaite) was disparging a friends 10+ year old Chevy truck becasue it needed something done to the valves (turns out it needed valve guide seals). I agreed this was a common problem for some old Chevy V8s, but then I pointed out it was a common problem for old Toyotas as well. He looked at me like I was insane. He did not think Toyotas had problem like that. I asked him about his old Camry...didn't it often blow a little blue smoke in the morning? He admitted it did, but thought it wasn't a problem. I agreed it wasn't a problem, but it was a sign of leaking valve guide seals - exaclty the same problem as the old Chevy V8. Only difference was that the Chevy guy got talked in to paying to fix it.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

This is just not true. Toyota has no choice but to fix it. NHTSA is all over Toyota about this issue. In the old days, when Toyota had a small percentage of the US market, they could jsut sweep problems under the rug. Not any more. When you are number 1, you ahve a trget on your back. NHTSA can't jsut ignore major defects from high volume manufacturers.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

ONE??????????????????????? You have to be kidding!

In the last few years Toyota has had to recall massive numebrs of vehicle for safety defects - bad ball joints, rusting frames, rusting rear suspension, faulty fuel systems, faulty seat belts, etc., etc., etc.

Take off those blinders!

Toyota builds some fine vehicles, just like many other manufacturers. BUT, just like other manufacturers, Toyota has produced some real POS vehicles and made dumb design desicions on some otherwise fine vehicles.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

BS! Toyota is the king of stonewalling. Go review the history of the truck ball joint problems, or the truck frame rusitng problems. I think this runaway Lexus is a bunch of hooey BUT, given all the media attention and NHTSA pressure, Toyota had no choice but to react.

I think you are completely wrong when you say Ford stonewalled on the Pinto gas tank issue. I believe many responsible people at Ford did not think their was a problem and they fought a high profile lawsuit in court and lost. Ford was clearly not balmeless in the case of the Ford Pinto, however, I think if you go read the history of the case you will see that the reality is far different than the public's perception. I suggest you read the articles at:

Pintos were not dangerous vehicles compared to other car of comparable size and cost.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

You are repeating the same old BS originally spit out by Mother Jones News. Go read the facts and I think you 'll quit repeating this distroted history.

See:

Pintos were not dangerous vehicles compared to other car of comparable size and cost.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

My 1941 Chrysler has that arrangement! I think it was Ford that came up with the hinged pedals in about 52 or so. I like pushing the clutch all the way to the floor and knowing that the brake is directly connected to the master cylinder.

Reply to
sctvguy1

They made rubber grommets that fit around the pedal stem to prevent water and stuff from coming in the floorboard. My 41 Chrysler has those.

Reply to
sctvguy1

Toyota isn't the first to do recalls.Probally all of the other auto companies have done them too. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

That won't stop rust cancer from getting a start those places.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher