Toyota unintended acceleration recall

Looks like the problem is with the floor mats that may span different models.

"One driver told the agency the vehicle had hit speeds of 100 m.p.h. over a 6-mile stretch of freeway due to the problem. A Michigan woman said the problem caused her to lose control of her Lexus, triggering a rollover crash on I-75 that totaled her car."

"We have also received complaints about the RAV 4 (crossover) and Tacoma (pickup)," said Rae Tyson, a spokesman for NHTSA. "We will continue to monitor all of the other Toyota vehicles not involved in the recall."

johngdole

It's probably B.S., like the Audi 5000 issue a number of years ago. Years later, the guy who started that whole thing admitted that he made up the unintended acceleration excuse after his careless accident, to divert blame.

But he started a trend, and thereafter, anyone who had an accident with that vehicle jumped on the defective car bandwagon. Audi spent years, and millions, and never found anything that could have possibly caused the supposed problem.

Reply to
Smitty Two

1) Step on the brake or 2) put the gearbox into neutral or 3) turn off the ignition key.

Morton

Reply to
Morton

Nonetheless, Toyota can recall my floormat anytime they want, they are dirty anyway.

Reply to
EdV

"EdV" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

It is the all weather (heavy duty rubber floor mat), not a standard carpet mat. The recalled mats were in Camrys and Lexus ES350s. This was not actually a vehicle recall, it was an equipment recall. Go to this link -

(it has pictures). From
:

NHTSA CONSUMER ADVISORY: Secure Floor Mats in 2007/2008 Lexus ES 350, Camry, Other Toyotas; Advisory Also Extended to Other Vehicles Toyota to Conduct Floor Mat Recall Owners of 2007 and 2008 Lexus ES 350 models and certain other Toyota vehicles are being urged to make sure the driver-side, "All Weather" floor mats are properly secured before driving the vehicles, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Toyota Motor Company. Toyota announced it will conduct a recall of all the affected floor mats, which are used in the 2007/2008 Lexus ES 350 as well as the 2007/2008 Camry. NHTSA and Toyota noted that, if unsecured, the mats being recalled can slip forward and trap the accelerator pedal, causing the vehicle to accelerate uncontrollably. AAlthough not part of the recall, NHTSA urged drivers of other Toyota models, including Avalons and Prius hybrids, to check the driver-side floor mats to make sure they are properly installed. While the recall is underway, drivers of these Toyota vehicles are strongly urged to make sure the driver-side floor mat is properly secured to the retention hooks on the floorboard. Also, never overlay two mats on top of each other because the retention hooks cannot secure the top-most mat which can then can slip and trap the accelerator pedal. Of course, depending on vehicle design, it is possible for unsecured floor mats to interfere with accelerator or brake pedals in a wide range of vehicles. Therefore, NHTSA reminds all drivers of all makes and models to check the driver-side floor mats for secure installation and to follow manufacturer instructions for installing the mats. For more information, consumers can contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Hotline at 888-327-4236 or their Toyota or Lexus dealer.

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

-

has pictures). From
:

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. I have to look again at my pedal, last time I checked it was high of the floorboard. If those same mats were used on models 2006 and below will they still get stuck? I'm just thinking how different the pedal placement are the 07s from the older models.

Reply to
EdV