Transmission Flush At 100K ?

Hi,

Have an 2005 Accord V6 with 100,000 miles on it.

Dealership wants to do a radiator flush, transmission fluid flush/replace, and new spark plugs.

I remember reading somewhere that it is Not a good idea to do either the transmission flush or the cooling flush as often it causes more problems than it fixes. Just best to leave them alone.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this, particularly regarding the transmission flushing.

Also, the plugs are expensive. Think they would need replacement,even though car runs fine ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Bob

don't flush, only drain and fill. per the honda spec. check tegger.com for the honda factory tsb's that re-state this.

Reply to
jim beam

Honda dealerships have recommended tranny flushes in some cases where the transmission had begun to give erratic results.. My son had his done rather than replace the tranny, and in his case it worked.

I have never seen a properly done cooling system flush cause any problems.

Plugs are expensive, but eventually you have to replace them. Pay me now or pay me later. Often, plugs run for such a long interval will open up gap, and will deteriorate.. Considering you have 100K on this one, I think your plugs are pretty well amortized.

Reply to
hls

Bob wrote in news:irjmaj$521$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Unneeded. Just drain block and rad, flush with plain water, refill with genuine Honda coolant, and no other kind.

Unneeded. Just drain and fill with genuine Honda Z-1 according to the Owner's Manual.

Needed. Replace with OEM-spec: Denso or NGK only!

Honda prohibits "flushes" that use solvents. Honda specifies properly- performed drains and fills using ONLY the correct Honda-specific ATF.

The engine may "run fine", but the electrodes are eroded and worn. Spark plugs are a consumable, like engine oil. Replace them before the Check Engine light comes on.

Think of it this way: you got 6 years and 100K miles out of the original plugs. Spend $100 on new ones, and that's $17 per year, or a tenth-of-a- cent per mile.

Reply to
Tegger

It's overdue for all of these things. I'd have done the transmission a few miles ago.

Just change the transmission fluid, there is no reason to do anything fancy.

If you have a filthy old transmission that has not been well maintained, a fluid change or flush will move gunk around and may cause problems. The solution to prevent this is to keep it from getting filthy in the first place and you get there by changing your fluid.

When were they last changed? I'd do it now if the schedule says to do it now, because when the car stops running fine is going to be when you're trying to get somewhere important.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Wait for the misfire and catalytic converter replacement before you change the plugs.

Reply to
Steve Austin