powerglide to TH350 Transmission

Ok i have asked around with no luck. But I want to swap out my powerglide to a th350/6in tail in my 62 impala. I am told its a bolt on swap. Same tranny case and all. The shifter is going to be a 64 impala floor shifter with the shift works cable conversion. thanks

Reply to
Jeff Brownsher

Man your asking me to show my age! ;-) If I remember correctly you do need the converter from the TH350, might need a different yoke for the driveshaft connection, I'm not sure about that one. As well check that the transmissions are the same length or the drive shaft will need modified.

The transmission mount and cross member may need to be relocated slightly and you need to hook up the detent cable from the transmission to the carburetor so that you have a passing gear. One other thing to check, call an auto parts store and see if the flex-plate that bolts to the crank are the same, I believe they are the same part number.

I believe that's about it, but yes the transmission will bolt up to the motor as long as it's a Chevy TH350.

HTH Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

The output spline is different so you need the driveshaft yoke replaced with one from a TH350. The PG uses rods and cranks for the kickdown and the TH350 uses a cable so you remove all the monkey linkage rods and replace it with the proper cable which is avail at any parts store. They are 2 different lengths so get the longer one, the short one is for a V6 and won't reach the carb. Dig around and get the cable support from a V8 with a TH350 or you have nothing to hold the engine end in place with. There are chrome aftermarket units for this and I think they also hold a throttle cable which your car doesn't have so either cut it off or if it isnt in the way you use it as is. If your flex plate has 2 sets of converter holes and is in good shape you can reuse it. If you need a new one make sure it is the same diameter as your old one and has both sets of holes. I'm pretty sure the 62 has a 12 3/4 diameter plate. As far as the crossmember I seem to recall no mods are needed but the driveshaft may need to be shortened and rebalanced. I know on a swap from a PG to a Muncie 4 speed in a '64 Impala we ended up having to shorten it by about 2 inches. Other than that it is pretty much a bolt in swap with GM or aftermarket parts as you want.

Reply to
Rufus T. Firefly