Transmission not engaging,,,

I recently had to rebuild my 1976 corvette SBC engine since the camshaft was badly worn on it.

After a few challenges (since I am just a weekend mechanic pushed into service when I cannot avoid it), I did manage to rebuild it and get the engine back in.

It seems to run fine pending a bit of a tune, but now the transmission will not engage to move the thing. I can shift and it all feels normal, but no movement at all.

It is a 350 automatic, 1976 vette, 350 SBC.

I did have to pull the rad and disconnect all of that to get the engine in and out. I also had a bit of a mix up trying to get the wires on the starter solenoid correctly and I may have shorted the B+ to the car in the process, but all lights, etc work.

I did put the bolts back in to couple the engine to the transmission. Yes the tranny has appropriate fluid. I was working just fine before I had to remove the engine....

In the meantime I am going to jack it back up and drop the transmission shroud to recheck those bolts (3) hodling the engine to the transmission.

But I suspect something else, but have no idea. Does anyone else have any clues as to what else I could have disturbed in the process? Any insight appreciated since I very readily admit to being an amateur in all of this.

TIA, BSA

Reply to
BSAKing

[...]

Did you connect the "kick down"/"passing gear" linkage? This is connected up with the accelerator linkage. Is it in proper adjustment? Did that "kick down"/"passing gear" linkage possibly get bent somehow when you removed or installed the engine? Is the gear shift linkage in proper adjustment?

Don't take this the wrong way... but... did you remember to install the torque convertor? Correct me if I am wrong... when installing a torque convertor you need to have some oil in the torque convertor. Isn't there a modulator valve on those transmissions, which have a engine manifold vacuum hose attached to it? Is the hose connected?

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Put the 3 torque convertor bolts in. (flywheel to convertor)

Reply to
willameena

The "detent cable", (kick down cable), has nothing to do with it "not going into gear. Yes, you need to put fluid in a new or dry/drained convertor. If he left the convertor in the trans, it is fine. The modulator valve is for automatic shifting while driving only.

Reply to
willameena

Jeeezz... now I get it... instead of this:

"I did put the bolts back in to couple the engine to the transmission. Yes the tranny has appropriate fluid. I was working just fine before I had to remove the engine...."

the OP (BSAKing) should have written this: "I did put the bolts back in to attach the torque convertor to the flywheel. Yes the tranny has appropriate fluid. I was working just fine before I had to remove the engine...." and instead of this: "In the meantime I am going to jack it back up and drop the transmission shroud to recheck those bolts (3) hodling the engine to the transmission."

this:

"In the meantime I am going to jack it back up and drop the transmission shroud to recheck those bolts (3) attaching the torque convertor to the flywheel."

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

Now I get it... it's been many decades since I mucked with automagics.

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

A fellow from another NG suggested the following possible problem....

When the trasmission is removed from the engine the converter is loose, other than hanging on the center shaft. It can be removed by simply pulling forward on it. The tangs that drive the pump have about

1/4 - 3/8 inch engagement. If the converter moved forward that far and rotated a very small amount it will not drive the pump until engaged again. You should have been able to tell that when you tried to bolt the transmission to the engine block. Sadly that is sometimes over looked as oft times we are on our backs talking in an unkind manner to the SOB. Also the bell housing bolts are strong enought to crush fit the tangs to a non working configuration. BTDT, $^&&*&*%!!
Reply to
BSAKing