Diff lock not engaging

Discovery 300tdi '96 auto.

Engaging the diff lock has always been awkward since I bought the car three years ago, however it always did work - until now. I cannot get the selector lever to move to the left to engage the diff lock. It slides into low and high okay, but is refusing to move left.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed with rectifying this problem would be gratefully received.

Thanks Davy M.

Reply to
David Murray

Soak the linkage at the transfer box (get underneath and get dirty!) with a good penetrating oil (I, personally, don't rate WD40 for this sort of job) or diesel. Allow to soak and regularly keep trying to move the lever to the left. You should eventually get a result but it may take several days.

Once free engage the lock (or more accurately, move the lever as immediate lock engagement is not guaranteed) fairly regularly to keep the linkage free. Once the weather improves clean up the linkage and apply some lubricant.

Reply to
Dougal

I had this on my '97 when out caravaning and the lever got stuck in the engaged position....

brute force.. rock on the lever. I went to Lakeland Landrover who were up the road at the time and that is what they did, vigorous rocking side to side.. the car rocks it was swung on that hard. Eventually it will free up.

It is simply a case of lack of use or as I like to refer to it "newness"

As per the other reply make sure it gets a good workout from now on .. even if only in then out just for the exercise.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Same can apply to the hi/lo selection as well. My old DII suffered from that, I now try to excercise it at least once a week,

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Julian Pollard