gears not engaging

i can not get my rover 25 into gear, 1st and reverse ,can you shed any light please .

Reply to
dewikelly

dewikelly ( snipped-for-privacy@eets.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sure.

Where would you like us to shine the torch? About there? Or a bit higher?

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Adrian. That's the first time I've laughed today.

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Will it go in to gear with the engine off? If not, suspect gear linkage broken/worn/fallen off.

If it goes in to gear with the engine off, but not with the engine running, suspect the clutch.

Report back, and seek further help when you've tried.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Also, put it in gear with the engine stopped(if you can), then try starting the engine with your foot on the clutch. What happens?

(Extreme care needed when doing this, natch.)

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

What's the problem? You can't move the leaver into the position, you try but get a grinding or it seems to go in ok but no drive?

Reply to
Depresion

rofl me too !!!.

Reply to
reg

check the gearshift linkage at the top of the box they have a habit of snapping the weld off where the selector shaft goes into the box.

Reply to
reg

clever muppet !

Reply to
dewikelly

thanks reg , it will take 2nd , 4th, reverse with engine off , will not go into 1st 3rd 5th with engine off . will have a look at linkeage tonite .

Reply to
dewikelly

goes into 2nd 4th reverse with engine off , but no forward gears 1st 3rd

5th ,
Reply to
dewikelly