transmission problem on Hyundai accent

Hi ,

Just yesterday, the transmission on my Hyundai Accent (172,000) miles gave out. For the last few weeks I had been noticing problems with the shifting such as.the car slipping out of gear while in drive, but after the car had been driven for about 10 minutes the problem seemed to alleviate itself. The car would start shifting perfectly again.

I kind of thought the problem could be sludge build-up as the filter hadn't been changed in about 70,000 miles, so I went ahead and changed the fluid and filter. I also put added a bottle of "trans-tune" into it as well because that helped out my other car when there was some build-up.

Now the transmission problems have gotten worse to the point that it's now undrivable on the road. The transmission is also making a kind of wailing noise. I did drain out the fluid again by uncorking the scew, and added some new fluid thinking there might've been more build- up, but that didn't help.

If accumulated sludge is the cause of the transmission problem, is there anything I could do to salvage this transmission? I'm thinking that it's a definite goner at this point, but I was hoping to at least get a little bit more time out of it...to buy me more time to save up for another one. I could change the filter all over again and see if there's a new accumulation of sludge blockage that may have gathered there (I just changed the filter 3 weeks ago) but I'm thinking that it's pointless and not likely a cause of the problem. I could get a trans-flush but I don't think that's really going to help.

thanks...and look forward to any ideas...

tysteel

please send any emails to tysteel5000 @ aol.com

Reply to
tysteel

The sludge isn't the cause of the failure it is the result of the failure. This sludge you are seeing is the remains of the friction material from the clutches.

I agree with you that changing the fluid again would be pointless. It sounds like your transmission is just worn out and needs to be rebuilt. Once the clutches go the show is pretty much over but changing the fluid and filter first to try to save it was definitely worth a try.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.