help with transmission

Hi,

I'm having some problems right now with a transmission on my 1998 Hyundai Accent, and I'd really appreciate some advice on how I could correct the problem. Let me provide a few details:

as of late is, the transmission is hard shifting and slipping when it's being driven for the first few minutes after being warmed up.

But after about 5-10 minutes of driving, the car starts to shift perfectly..... the shifting problems disappear.

I have checked the fluid level, and it's where it's supposed to be. I've also changed the transmission filter recently. Something I did notice when changing the filter and fluid was that there were a lot of metal particles (almost like granules) at the bottom of the pan in some sludge, and I've also spotted some of these metallic grains in the fluid. I've actually changed the filter and fluid twice in the last month to see if that would help, but even after the 2nd filter change I still noticed some particles.

It's apparent that something has worn down in the transmission, but I do think that it's possible that these metal particles are floating around in the transmission lines, probably getting caught in pistons, and maybe this could be the cause of why the car is having the shifting problems in the first 5-10 minutes of driving it around? Like mentioned before, after driving it around for a while, it then shifts perfectly.

I was thinking about just changing the fluid and filter yet again. Would taking this car to a station for a "transmission flush" help get a lot of these floating particles out of the system, or is that a waste of money in this situation? Also, something else I noticed is that when the dealership last worked on this car, they removed the magnets from the transmission pan. I was thinking that maybe setting a magnet in there, if I do another trans fluid/filter change, may help collect some of these particles as well.

looking forward to your suggestions and advice,...thanks.

tysteel

please send any and all emails to: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
tysteel

I am sorry to say but the tranny is gone. The 'sludge' in the transmission's pan were very small metal partials. The larger ones that you saw are not good. Yes there should be a magnate in the pan but I don't think there is anything to do that will make much of a difference.

A good transmission flush would get most of the metal that has been floating around and so that's a good point for taking it in to someone.

A magnate will catch any metal that will float by it as the transmission runs. 2nd good point.

A really good additive will increase the transmission fluid lubrication and MAY help it shift better.

But all in all, if you are planning on keeping the car a new transmission is going to be needed eventually.

I really hope there are a lot of tips that contradict what I've said.

Reply to
motoron

adding a magnet to the inside of the trans pan is a exellent idea ,also consider adding a magnetic inline filter availible at most auto parts. a great product to also try is lucas trans fix from your local parts store , it works great for sticking valves and other internal problems

Reply to
wilderbillyof43

I agree that these things would be a good idea if we were dealing with a properly functioning transmission but in this case building a better gate isn't going to put the horses back in the barn. The transmission is toast and will have to be rebuilt.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.