Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

When I went to ask about this, they said that if it was less than 125, it could be put right next to the house. After that, if depended on the size as to how far it had to be away from the house. It all depends on your local code, anyway.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

But how can that be? We've seen expert testimony from several individuals here that it would be an impossibility.

I'm confused ..........

Steve ;-)

visit my blog at

Steve B

Absolutely... The make administrative laws which govern how your car has to be inspected and what items must be inspected to get your sticker... Also how the roadways and railways under their jurisdiction are used... Lots of things are covered under administrative law...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

You can bet there's such a law and ignorance of its provisions will not be an excuse

Conductor's lament:

"I don't run the engine, I don't ring the bell, But if this train jumps the tracks, Guess who catches hell!"

Reply to
HeyBub

:

That's not illegal, dumbass. Pay attention.

Gas must be transported in an open vehicle (i.e. pickup truck bed), or in an enclosed area separate from the passenger compartment (i.e. a car trunk).

It is illegal to haul gas in a vehicle that does NOT have a compartment separate from the passengers. Vehicles like a minivan, or SUV, or station wagon.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Smitty Two wrote in news:prestwhich- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Outdoor cans are subject to rusting. if they leak,they pollute the ground water. I doubt a copper/lead bullet piercing a gas can would ignite one. (anyone care to experiment for the group? 8-) )

Besides,hunters should not be shooting near residences. (yes,I said "should",and many don't do as they should)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Laws differ by state. I'm just trying to find the details of "that law" you quote.

Just as leaving your vehicle for the purpose of refueling is illegal in some states (NJ for example); or placing anything, like a GPS, on your windshield is illegal in some states (California, for example); and having your OBDII DTC codes scanned for free by the auto parts stores is illegal in some states (Hawaii, for example); and using a radar detector is illegal in some states (Virginia?) ... gasoline temporary storage and transportation laws are certain to differ in various states.

Isn't there a single California lawyer on the USENET?

Can anyone find a California law that regulates the storage and transportation of 5-gallon jugs of gasoline for personal use?

Reply to
Bill Murphy

If a bullet is shot through the fuel tank of a car, it will explode.

busted

The gas tank did not explode.

(This myth was revisited in episode 38 and it was found to be plausible if the tank is shot with a tracer round.)

REVISITED: A gas tank will explode when shot by a bullet. (From Episode 15)

busted

It has already been proven that when shot by a normal bullet a gasoline tank will not explode. However, if a gasoline tank is shot by a tracer round from a great enough distance so that the round can ignite with air friction, it will cause the gasoline to catch fire. By the time this happened the tank was so riddled with bullets (from previous tracers that were fired too close to ignite) that there was no contained pressure, but the MythBusters surmised that had the tank been properly enclosed, it may have exploded; but overall it remains extremely improbable.

Reply to
Bill Murphy

Stating a law without a reference isn't useful in this particular case.

While I'm sure waste contaminated gasoline would be considered a hazardous waste (and a flammable liquid at the same time), I doubt usable gasoline is considered hazardous waste, per se, in most states.

But you never know. For example, it's illegal in California to use brass plumbing that has ANY lead in it (yet all other 49 states seem to have no problem with that).

As another example, it's illegal in California to use chlorinated brake cleaners; while almost ever other state has no problem with that.

My point is that laws clearly vary by state:

- It's illegal in some states to get out of your car to refuel or pay

- It's illegal in some states to put a GPS in the middle of the windshield

- It's illegal in some states to use a radar detector

- It's illegal in some states to get your OBDII DTC codes scanned for free etc.

Since laws involving storage and transportation of gasoline are almost certain to vary among the states, a specific California law is what I'm looking for (since I live in California). I'll keep looking for the text of the law but I was hoping there was a single lawyer on this forum who might tell us how to find the text of the law.

Reply to
Bill Murphy

I posted a few references for California legal search sites.

None contained ANY California law regarding the transportation and storage of 5-gallon jugs of gasoline for personal use.

Many contained transportation of 120 gallons or more; and OSHA sites contained regulations for the work place; but so far, nobody on this planet can cite a specific California law that regulates the storage or transportation of 20-gallons worth of gasoline in the state of California.

Reply to
Bill Murphy

Details would have been in the MythBusters show itself. I'm sure a YouTube exerpt might exist if you need those details.

The point is, the suggestion that a "hunter's round" will accidentally explode plastic gas cans sitting outside is so highly unlikely, maybe even impossible, as to not be a reasonable fear.

Gasoline is very dangerous. We all know that. A leak is not good, for example. But we manage that danger every single day (almost all of us keep about 40 gallons in the garage every night, for example).

To date, nobody on this planet (not even me, after extensive searches already listed) can reference a single California law that regulates the home storage and vehicle transporation of five gallon jugs of gasoline in a car trunk.

Reply to
Bill Murphy

I don't remember the exact web site I picked that from but a google search on "hazardous waste transportation california 15 gallons" will find multiple references such as

Roy

People taking a little gas container in their cars to a gas station for lawnmower gas aren't even going to think or consider if that is legal or not.Millions of people are doing that every day. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Bill Murphy wrote in news:i29f8h$s27$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Man, that must have been some lawsuit. Prime candidate for the darwin awards I'd bet.

Reply to
chuckcar

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

What I loved about that episode was when Adam zoned out and almost had the truck Jamie was driving catch fire. Before they "wanted" it to. I wouldn't trust that guy to fill a tire with air, never mind the things he does on the show.

Reply to
chuckcar

I want to stay within the law.

If the law says I can't transport anything in the trunk, I won't.

If it says I can't store anything in my yard, I won't.

However, if it allows me to transport and store twenty or twenty five gallons, I will.

BTW, I moved the gas cans into the shed along the other fence. I was leaving them outside because I thought it was safer due to venting; but the shed is pretty airy too. The only problem is all the equipment in the shed has gas in their gas tanks too (mowers, bikes, a cultivator, weed whackers, blowers, chainsaw, hedge trimmers, pressure washer, etc.).

The neighbor's concerns shouldn't be any different. There are still twenty gallons of gas (when full) at a time on my property in gas cans. Then again, I have forty gallons in the garage (in the cars) and so does he. Another fifteen or so gallons in the tools if they're all full. I see him mowing his lawn and using hedge trimmers and weed whackers himself, so he must have at least five gallons himself.

Reply to
Bill Murphy

Well, be quiet, or someone in California WILL make a law. They got one on the books for everything else. ;-)

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Except that usable gasoline is not "hazardous waste." Since the gasoline is not "waste" but is being stored for future use (i.e. consumption) it doesn't qualify as hazardous waste. It would qualify as "flammable liquid" however. If it was mopped up contaminated and unusable gasoline - gasoline which got mixed with something else like paint thinner, or was so dirty, say from spilling with sand or dirt that it could not be recovered by simple filtering - *then* it would qualify as hazardous waste. Since it can be used, as is, out of the storage container and is suitable for its intended use, it's not waste.

Reply to
Paul Robinson

Only in Oregon and New Jersey, those are the only states that still mandate Full Service.

Reply to
Paul Robinson

hazMAT

Reply to