'04 Tacoma- needs new wipers

At Walmart they have a catalog listing most vehicles and which universal wipers will work. It seems to indicate that for my truck- the only variable is the length, 17". So, I bought what appears to be the best item of several brands- but I then noticed that it looks nothing like the original. I called a dealer and he said my best bet is to just get it at the dealer and he can show how to install it.

So, is this true- none of the universal items will work? I'm just trying to save a few bucks- but already I've wasted too much time on this- I suppose I should have gone to the dealer. Joe

Reply to
Joe

I buy wipers at WalMart whenever I need them.

I just put a set of Michelin's on my 08 Taco that I got there.

If you don't know how to put on a set of wipers, google it.

Or sell the truck.

Reply to
SnoBrdr

SnoBrdr found these unused words:

Heh ...

Go to NAPA or AutoZone store and they'll supply you with the filler or a new complete 'slip on'. Note they are different sizes! The left blade is longer.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

The dealer lied to you, or he's an idiot. Damn near every auto-parts store sells "generic" windshield wiper blades (either the full assembly or the neoprene strip). The inserts cost around $10.

Just a brief search shows the following for 17 inch:

Manufacturer number: REP361502 Manufacturer number: ARB361503

among many, many others.

Reply to
AGWFacts

Makes good sense! When it comes to anything mechanical my brain shuts down- I should have gone to an auto parts store- not Walmart. When you say "filler" - I presume you mean just the rubber or whatever that is that actually does the work? Joe

Reply to
Joe

excellent- thanks for that tip! Joe

Reply to
Joe

The "filler" is generally a neoprene wiper with a thin stainless steel backing. There are notches cut at both ends, and there are no "left" and "right" ends--- it's the same at both ends.

The "filler" fits into the carrier that is attached to your car; the carrier has a delicate retainer on one ends that folds around the notch on one end of the "filler;" the retainer needs to be very carefully pried open with a small screw driver. The old "filler" will then slide out.

Tyhe new "filler" slids in, and the retainer on the carrier can be vey carefully closed again with needlenose pliers.

The carrier assembly itself is also sold at auto parts stores. These screw on and off with a Phillips screw driver.

As someone mentioned, one wiper is 17 inches long and the other is longer--- 22 inches if I recall correctly.

Reply to
AGWFacts

"Joe" found these unused words:

Exactly, may makers have fillers that will fit the originals.

That said, I prefer to get the better dual blade units and once replaced the arm end, they can easily be slipped in as they wera. I'm in the PNW and we have rain, rain, rain!

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

? The universals will work... that's why they call them universal, cause they work on everything.

I usually just buy the inserts to save money. Albeit, they're a bit trickier to install.

The one thing I've noticed over the 35 years that I've been driving and replacing wipers, and maybe it's just my imagination; but the rubber used to make the wipers seems to be thinner and doesn't hold up as well as the older fashioned wiper blades.

I seem to have to replace wiper blades much more often than I used to.

Reply to
studio

? The universals will work... that's why they call them universal, cause they work on everything.

I usually just buy the inserts to save money. Albeit, they're a bit trickier to install.

The one thing I've noticed over the 35 years that I've been driving and replacing wipers, and maybe it's just my imagination; but the rubber used to make the wipers seems to be thinner and doesn't hold up as well as the older fashioned wiper blades.

I seem to have to replace wiper blades much more often than I used to.

{{

I found the universal to be very noisy and also did not last long. Last I purchased (3 years back) were expensive ($25 per refill) but no noise and still good after 3 years.

Reply to
NotMe

supposedly that's to "encourage" you to replacxe them every 2 months. instead of the 2 seasons you used to get. plus they've gone up in price, too. so that is 2 flat out rate increases. there are still heavy duty brands, usually small indies. just look around and you can find good blades.

Reply to
someone