Trick To Fan?....

I'm doing the intake manifold gasket set on my 99 GMC 3500/5.8l, and can't for the life of me get the clutch fan off.......What's the trick...4 pulley bolts doesn't do the trick.....any input will be appreciated as always....

frank.....

Reply to
Peter Griffin

you need to loosen up the big nut holding the fan clutch to the water pump.

Reply to
jfrancis311

does that year model just have the 4 bolts that hold the pulley to the water pump, and then the fan clutch is threaded on to the pulley. It takes a large special wrench to remove the fan clutch from the pulley.

Since I don't have a truck like...wonder if you could take the belt off, undo the four bolts that hold the pulley to the water pump and just remove the fan clutch and pulley together?

My 1992 is the "old-school" setup.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

ok bad suggestion on my part... The fan clutch with the single large nut threads on to the "boss" that part of the water pump. So the magic answer is that you have to loosen the large single nut on the fan clutch and then remove it from the water pump boss. I know they make a special wrench for this.