Tuneup 1999 Chrysler myself. Questions.

My service light just went on at 45000. Is this saying I need the first tuneup? If so I want to do it myself. (Engine starting to seem like it needs a little tuneup.)

I've done tuneups on older cars all the time. My question is specifically what parts do I replace? (Qxygen sensors, cold starting sensors etc, etc.) Also with electronic ignition, obviously no dwell to change, but what about ignition timing? And can I get by without having the use of a computer analysis when tuning it up?

Thanks for any help on this deep, dark, vast and mysterious subject.

haha

Reply to
TJohnston

specifically

The lamp indicates that an emissions related fault has been detected by the system.

Standard tune up items at that mileage would be spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, air filter, and PCV valve.

Timing is nonadjustable.

You don't need computer analysis for the tune up, but you will need to have the codes read to find out why the lamp is on.

Reply to
saeengineer

If you have a "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" light on, it's not indicating a need for regular maintenance, it's indicating that a malfunction was detected. You need to have the codes read to figure out exactly what it's saying.

Reply to
Robert Hancock