turbo sizing

Is this correct?

If a turbocharger is too small for an engine, it will restrict intake airflow making it perform worse than having the engine naturally aspirated.

If the turbine side is also too small then then the exhaust will act as a restriction at increased boost levels. And one way to solve this problem is by using an external wastegate, right?

I know I'm possibly complicating things.

Using a turbo matched for the engine would simplify things BUT I'm what I'm trying to do is come up with a compound twin turbo system (different sized turbos) which would significantly reduce turbo lag without limiting boost.

Reply to
lethaldriver

In some compound turbocharger set-ups, the outlet of the big turbo is connected to the inlet of the small turbo then into the engine's intake system.

Won't the big turbo have a hard time pumping air into the small turbo when it reaches higher boost?

Reply to
lethaldriver