ranger hard to start

I have a 1994 ford ranger with a 4 liter v 6. After sitting any amount of time, it has to turn over quite a few times before it starts. I can turn the key on and off several times and it starts right up. According to the book the pressure regulator is bad. I checked the fuel pressure which showed normal, then I pinched the return line and the pressure went up, which according to the book means the pressure regulator is bad. I have no check engine light or fuel in the vacuum line though. It also seems to run a little rich. Thanks!

Reply to
adams5

does this fuel system have an accumulator? that could also contribute to the hard starting. wouldn't explain running rich however.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I don't think it has an accumulator.

Reply to
adams5

If the pressure is normal, why are you pinching the return line? (which will cause the pressure to go up) Changed the fuel filter lately?

Reply to
dahpater

I was just following the procedure for checking the pressure regulator which is described in the shop manual when I pinched the return line, and I changed the fuel filter first when I started having this trouble.

Reply to
adams5

That indicates that fuel pressure is bleeding off somehow.

According to the book the pressure regulator is bad. I

Which is normal. You are eliminating the regulator when you pinch off the return line. The fuel pressure will now read the max pressure the pump is able to produce.

which according to the book

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line and turn the key on and off several times, then check your fuel pressure. It should show normal fuel pressure. Next, watch the pressure gauge closely to see if the pressure slowly bleeds off. If the pressure slowly drops turn the key on and off to build up pressure and then pinch off the return line past the regulator and watch your pressure gauge again. If it now holds pressure your regulator is leaking. If the pressure gauge still drops then pinch off the fuel line going to the fuel rail and try the test again. If it now holds pressure you have a bad fuel pump, if the pressure still drops you have a leaking fuel injector. A leaking fuel injector would also explain the running rich complaint.

Reply to
Mike