Passed MOT, been told of a 'Turbo' boost???

Well, that's another MOT passed with flying colours. ;) '97 Discovery 300 Tdi with 90k ish on the clock now.

Just changed, last week 'cos one was pitted and weeping slightly, swivels, seals and oil for grease and the front end's a lot cleaner now .. ;)

Whilst at the MOT place I got talking to someone who says he's worked on the

300 (and 200) Tdi engine and suggested that because my emissions are so low that it'd be worth me changing the point at which the turbo comes in so that it comes in a few hundred rpm lower. He reckoned this could be done by 'adjusting' the turbo activation rod, which uses a rose-joint and thread/lock-nut arrangement. He also reckoned, and it seems plausible, that this would increase acceleration and towing power, we do toe _a lot_ and wouldn't really affect fuel consumption a lot.

So my question is/are ...

Has anyone done this? Is it worthwhile? Were there any downsides to it? Is it as easy as he suggested it to be?

I've looked in the Rave manuals and there is indeed an activation rod and it does indeed appear to be adjustable, but it seems to need the manifold and turbo removing to get to it, so isn't, at first glance, an 'easy' tweak and test and re-tweak and re-test fiddle about. I only looked from the top of the engine though, and being hot I didn't feel about a bit to see what my fingers might see/feel.

I'd appreciate advice/scorn/tales of great tidings/t o g woe .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

It doesn't necessarily make the turbo spool up at a lower rpm, but it will give more boost. All you are doing is adjusting the turbo wastegate (bypass valve) to operate at a different boost level. To make a turbo spool up at a lower rpm needs a different turbine housing throat area, smaller in this case, and that would restrict high rpm/boost gas flow. If your engine has "available oxygen" then you can add more fuel, this increased combustion will increase the exhaust gas flow at a given rpm, therefore increasing turbine rpm and hence boost. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Paul, Take a look at the thread "Defender 200Tdi Fuel Pump Timing" we had here in the last couple of days - there is more information on doing this than you could ever need to know.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

He hasn't a clue what he is talking about!

The 'turbo activation rod' as he calls it is actually the wastegate actuator, it makes no difference whatsoever to the point where the turbo comes in. What it does do is control the maximum boost pressure. Also, if your emissions are low, this would suggest that there is already plenty of air going through there, adding boost simply adds more air, and would not make the slightest difference to power.

As someone has said, read the "Defender 200Tdi Fuel Pump Timing" thread, there are links on there which will tell you everything you need to know.

Reply to
SimonJ

Badger came up with the following;:

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Heheheheh, yeah thanks. I must admit to 'missing' the thread ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

SimonJ came up with the following;:

Cheers, in fact after re-reading the Rave manuals and looking at it again, this is what I worked out for myself (pat on back methinks) and reckoned that to benefit from extra boost it'd also need extra fuel, so would still need the injection system tweaking to get any real benefit.

Yup, am doing .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

m0bcg came up with the following;:

Cheers.

I have now also read the Defender 200Tdi thread .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx