Turn Signal Lamp Stuck On

I've got a 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer. A strange problem just occurred tonight. The left turn signal indicator stays on steadily and the driver's side turn signal lamp stays on at all times...when I make a right (or left) turn, the signals behave normally...when the signal is done its back to the steady left signal indicator & steady-on driver's signal lamp.

Any suggestions for what I can try to fix this?

Reply to
Spiderman

The bulb thats "steady on" does appear a bit dimmer than when its blinking.

How do you pinpoint the bad ground?

Reply to
Spiderman

The first step is to get to the bulb and manually ground the negative/ground side with a piece of wire. Don't accidently ground the 12V side or you'll pop a fuse. If it fixes the problem, you've confirmed the diagnosis.

The fix can be done one of two ways. The first is to find the broken ground. It's usually not a broken wire but rather the connection from the wire to the chassis that's corroded and needs to be cleaned up.

The hack fix, if you're not a perfecti> The bulb thats "steady on" does appear a bit dimmer than when its blinking. >

Reply to
kgold

Others have already indicated the likely prospect of a faulty ground. However, these S10s and several other GM models have interesting front turn signal wiring that can behave just like a bad ground. The front sidemarker lamps are wired across the turn signal and parking lamp feed, and are not directly grounded. This is groovy; it makes the front sidemarkers flash with the turn signals as well as burn steadily. However, due to the nature of the GM system's grounds, if the sidemarker bulb *and* the front park/turn bulb are not in perfect condition, you can get bizarre and seemingly-impossible symptoms.

DS

Reply to
Daniel Stern Lighting

The left turn signal indicator in the dash is stuck ON only when the headlights are turned on. The left turn bulb on the front blinks when turning, but is off otherwise...unlike the right front turn bulb. Are you telling me that the steady left turn signal indicator is telling me to replace the front left turn bulb?

Reply to
Spiderman

Reply to
George

Thanks for the good info...that sounds like the problem. Now, is this bulb easy for a novice to replace?

Reply to
Spiderman

Reply to
George

Move to Fort Meyers and you will fit right in with all the other seniors.

Reply to
PAUL

Reply to
George