Re: Oil additives

>> > Mobil 1 5W20 also meets the Ford specification but may not actually be >> > worth paying twice the price of the Motorcraft oil. >> >> Just a note. I heard on the TeeVee that EPA has removed most/all wear >> additives from new oil classifications. > > The ones that poison catalytic converters have been removed. > ZDDP was a cheap way to make mediocre base stocks perform to > specifications. The elimination of ZDDP has forced the refiners to > choose better base stocks and use more expensive additive packages. > >> That makes Synthetic probably >> the only way to go unless STP is still out there and I'm not too sure >> that it has wear additives such as zinc. > > It's a good bet that any motor oil that meets the more stringent GM, > Ford, Chrysler, BMW, VW/Audi, Saab etc approvals will be at minimum a > synthetic blend even if it isn't labeled as such. > > If it's Zinc you want, I think Amsoil still uses it in their oils, which > probably explains why most of their oils don't cary the critical OEM > approvals one should follow to maintain their warranty. > (also makes me think their oils aren't really as good as they claim)

Some AMSOIL products do meet API specifications. Please read this web page to discover the truth about AMSOIL's choice to produce oils with higher levels of ZDP. Pay particular attention to the NOACK volatility scale and it's effect on oil evaporation which causes vehicles filled with AMSOIL to have no more catalytic converter problems than regular oils with the lower levels of ZDP that meet the API specification.

Steve

Good gawd, what a dog and pony show!

By focusing on the miserably minimal API specifications, Amsoil totally deflects any scrutiny regarding OEM oil specifications. No version of Amsoil carries any approvals for; GM 4718M, GM 6094M Ford WSS-M2C930A Ford WSS-M2C929A Chrysler MS-6395 Chrysler MS-10725 Honda HTO-06 VW 500.0X, 501.0X, 502.0X, 503.0X 505.0X, 506.0X (note: X = any subvariants) BMW LL-98, LL-01, LL-04

This is the short list...

Plain and simple, there are scant few vehicles out there that can safely use any Amsoil product, the exceptions being those OEMs that only specify using an API rated motor oil.

Also, I find this statement in your above link humorous;

"This has also been demonstrated for years in actual application through state mandated exhaust gas testing on our Dealers' and customers' high mileage vehicles using AMSOIL synthetic motor oils."

"State mandated testing?"

Are they serious?

Do you have ANY idea the magnitude of difference between a state IM test and the federal test protocol? Amsoil shouldn't insult their potential customers with such silly statements (unless of course, they don't think anyone would know any better).

Also; please note that in my post that you are replying to, never once did I mention 'API' in any shape, manner or form. The fact that you mention API in your reply serves as proof that you are merely parroting from the Amsoil salesdroid playbook and can only offer what the fathercompany allowed/included in the 'overcoming objections' section.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

People that fall for multi level marketing, of ANY product, whether it's Amway or Amsoil, are as gullible as they come, and there is no way you will ever make them see it any different, so save your energy, and move on to another topic. :-(

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J