US Computer in England

This is my first post to this group and I couldn't find a faq so I hope that this is not off topic.

I know very little about cars and have run into a problem for which I need some advice. I have a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick which was originally purchased in America. This vehicle has been all over the world from South America to Kosovo. I am presently in England with it. The other day it reached 50,000 miles. Exactly when it hit this number the "Check Engine" light came on. I took it to a Suzuki dealer and he said that a computer in the car related to the emissions has to be re-calibrated. They tried to do it, but their system wasn't compatible with the US computer in the car.

My questions are as follows: 1. How urgent does this need to be dealt with? 2. Is this computer Suzuki specific or might I find another company with a compatible computer? 3. Can I simply have this part removed and take it to America with me to be calibrated there when I fly back there at the end of the year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I would hate to have to ship the car back to the USA just to have this calibrated!!!

Malok

Reply to
Malok
1) Only urgent is the CEL starts flashing. Serious problems which will permanently damage the emission system need to be addressed. Try the ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON trick within 5 seconds (don't start the engine) to get any stored codes flashed out by the CEL and report back here. Disregard 12 (battery was disconnected within the last 50 cycles) and 55 (end of codes). If none other than 12 and 55 appear, I would just disregard the CEL.

2) ???

3) Since the computer relates info from various sensors in the vehicle, you'll need to take the entire vehicle to a dealer that can handle the calibration, if needed.

Might be a good time to replace the O2 sensors. Since the vehicle has been in numerous locals, I would expect the O2 sensors to be getting slow due to poor quality fuel supplies in different regions.

Malok wrote:

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Is this thing right hand or left hand drive? On Sidekicks of this era, the check engine light not only turns on for certain DTC's, but is a 'Maintenance Reminder' as well. On the American LHD, there is a switch located under the dash just to the left of the steering column. Just flip the switch and the light should be good for another 50,000.

Okay, just re-read your post--it was bought >This is my first post to this group and I couldn't find a faq so I

Reply to
Loren McPherson

It would be flashing if it was an OBD II vehicle and a catalyst-damaging misfire was detected. However, this won't be an OBD II vehicle (or it's unlikely, anyway).

Reply to
Robert Hancock